Foam from Keg Problem

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John

Reaction score
Hi, I just graduated from bottles to a King Keg and did a lager kit. Primed the keg with, err, 2oz brewers sugar as per instructions and the stuff froths all over the place and when it's all done and settled, the beer in the glass is just about flat. Tastes nice though, and very clear.

Weeks on and brew more than half gone now but it's hardly any less frothy. Any suggestions as to what's gone wrong with the foam and how to improve the next brew, please?

Hi John and welcome to the forum :cheers:
To give a fuller explanation could you tell us whether you have a CO2 injection unit and pressure relief valve fitted :hmm:
The problem that you are experiencing is probably due to trying to serve a highly carbonated beer through a drum tap :(
King kegs are OK for serving ales with low carbonation but the convoluted flow through the drum tap causes a lot of turbulence which knocks the CO2 out of solution causing the frothing :(
Just my opinion but if you stick to bottling your lagers and use your King Keg for low carbonation ales you wont go far wrong :thumb:

tubby_shaw said:
Hi John and welcome to the forum :cheers:
To give a fuller explanation could you tell us whether you have a CO2 injection unit and pressure relief valve fitted :hmm:
The problem that you are experiencing is probably due to trying to serve a highly carbonated beer through a drum tap :(
King kegs are OK for serving ales with low carbonation but the convoluted flow through the drum tap causes a lot of turbulence which knocks the CO2 out of solution causing the frothing :(
Just my opinion but if you stick to bottling your lagers and use your King Keg for low carbonation ales you wont go far wrong :thumb:
Thanks for that Tubby.

I think there's a pressure relief valve on top which doubles as the input for CO2. I never used the CO2, never needed it. I was thinking the final carbonation was about right for bitter and I suspect you're right about lager and King Kegs. Also, a glass straight from the freezer is the about only way to get the temperature right. Good thing I didn't recycle ALL my bottles.

I got fed up the variability of kegs - foaming (Wherry!!!) or not spotting CO2 leaks etc

I bottle everything now.

fc

Back