Galaxy hop 2 - the sequel

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brew 3: Galaxy hop 2 brewed on 04/01/2015

1.066 og

1.5Kg dextrose
1.5Kg Muntons DME
1Kg Candi Sugar dark
50g citra + 50g galaxy at 17 mins
50g citra + 50g galaxy at FO all added into fv for 7 days
Pitched at 25 deg C

Straight into fermenter
18-22 deg C ferment
Tesco chase spring water used.
took both hop bags out on 12/01/2015

For bottling:
115g brewing sugar in 500ml to 19.5 liters

24/01/2015

1.004 taste - strong medium bitter big tropical fruit 8.14%

29/01/2015

slight hiss, hazy, muddy brutal bitterness a slight woody aftertaste, needs more time.

13/02/2015

more hiss, thin head muddy very bitter, beer improving.

21/02/2015

Tropical fruit aroma 1 finger creamy white head quickly dissipates, cloudy burnt orange colour.
Light carbonation, Bitter then mango, orange, fruit salad flavour rounded off by woody bitterness quickly fading to leave a clean palate.

well, this is good, but 8.14% means I'm already in danger according to UK govt. better check the W.H.O. report for a more balanced view.

ahem, sorry for that.

The beer ? - it's damn good, but I'm looking forward to trying a Galaxy/Amarillo combination rather than Galaxy/Citra. The beer wasn't too thin either despite a lot of fermentables, must be beginners luck or my tastes are bit off the beaten track :wink:

did you only put the hops in with 17 mins left on the boil?

I might have gone for galaxy a lot earlier than that for a fuller flavour, I love the galaxy hop

yes only 17 mins for 50g galaxy and 50g citra.

I did only boil a few litres of wort and diluted in fv with water.

Think I'll shove 100g galaxy in after fermentation next time and use a cheaper hop for bittering.

Not that I'm displeased with what I have now, but with so many possibilities to try I'm not yet ready to replicate a previously brewed batch. ;-)

That's an awful lot of pure sugar, with 2.5kg, and just 1.5kg DME. Breaks all the rules. I'd love to try it to see how it's come out!

Brew 3: Galaxy hop 2 brewed on 04/01/2015

1.066 og

1.5Kg dextrose
1.5Kg Muntons DME
1Kg Candi Sugar dark
50g citra + 50g galaxy at 17 mins
50g citra + 50g galaxy at FO all added into fv for 7 days
Pitched at 25 deg C

Straight into fermenter
18-22 deg C ferment
Tesco chase spring water used.
took both hop bags out on 12/01/2015

For bottling:
115g brewing sugar in 500ml to 19.5 liters

24/01/2015

1.004 taste - strong medium bitter big tropical fruit 8.14%

29/01/2015

slight hiss, hazy, muddy brutal bitterness a slight woody aftertaste, needs more time.

13/02/2015

more hiss, thin head muddy very bitter, beer improving.

21/02/2015

Tropical fruit aroma 1 finger creamy white head quickly dissipates, cloudy burnt orange colour.
Light carbonation, Bitter then mango, orange, fruit salad flavour rounded off by woody bitterness quickly fading to leave a clean palate.

well, this is good, but 8.14% means I'm already in danger according to UK govt. better check the W.H.O. report for a more balanced view.

ahem, sorry for that.

The beer ? - it's damn good, but I'm looking forward to trying a Galaxy/Amarillo combination rather than Galaxy/Citra. The beer wasn't too thin either despite a lot of fermentables, must be beginners luck or my tastes are bit off the beaten track :wink:

Blimey, you could run your car on that !

Galaxy hops are powerful I love them, I usually scatter them over 75, 25, 15 mins and another handful after boil, marvelous.

Brew on :drunk:

Regards

That's a very kind offer but seems like a lot of hassle and expense, as much as I'd love to check.it out.

Latest posts

Back