Genius Stout 07/10/08 update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buzz said:
Sooo complicated eh? I'm going to leave mine as it is, as I I've got used to the values and the beer it produces. Sorry If I've mislead you :oops: I think the upshot is, you need to hit around 40IBU for this recipe, based on your setup.

Your telling me I have give up on beersmith altogether but now I'm in a muddle do I throw in 70g of hops and have a high IBU or ajust the weight of hops to get 45 IBU :wha: To make matters worse SWMBO is giving me earache for not finishing bathroom :whistle:

Thanks Aleman ive pm'ed Wez as he has made this so hopefully he'll have the answer :pray:

Ah I see where the confusion has come from, this is Brewstews recipe, I copied over his post from the old forum we ran for about 2 weeks. He was the original poster:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=19

But as you say no mention of the AA of his northdown

sorry guys... i've not had much chance to fully read through the forum lately.

the IBU's for this brew were around 35 IIRC.

the northen brewer hops were really low in AA's. under 3% if i remember. it was that years harvest which was a bit poor as we all know.

i really should update that recipe but as wez posted it i cant edit it.

i now know my efficiecny too (80%)

hope that helps

FYI the TaRd recipe is much tastier.

Hi Brew, let me know if there is anything on there you want updating and i'll go in and edit it :thumb: it was one of the things I moved across from TBE ;)

will do :thumb:

i'll drop you a PM when i'm at home with my recipe/notebook infront of me :)

Thanks guys helped me out no end BS whats the TaRd recipie?

Oh yeah mash on at 8:35 @66c camera charging so I'll post piccys later :grin:

ni9e said:
Thanks guys helped me out no end BS whats the TaRd recipie?

Oh yeah mash on at 8:35 @66c camera charging so I'll post piccys later :grin:

the tard recipe is exactly the same, but with the addition of 500g Wheat Malt

it finishes it slightly sweeter and leaves it with a fuller flavour IMO and that of my mates ;)

oh and have a goodun'

i hope you enjoy it as much as i :D i thought it was better than the original i was trying to clone personally

Yeah, hope it goes well after all our faffing about yesterday. :)

Tell me about it I have gone for 35 IBU's in the end only time will tell :grin:

yeah sorry about that lads... if i'd have noticed this thread yesterday then i would've saved the fuss :oops:

BrewStew said:
yeah sorry about that lads... if i'd have noticed this thread yesterday then i would've saved the fuss :oops:

Never mind all was well in the end no probs brewing in fact I enjoyed it so much I'm gonna do another one tomorrow :grin: I ended up with 23l @ 1050 which is bubbling away as I type.

35g of Northdown they smell very nice
IMG_0975.jpg

Thrown in the boiler waiting for the sweet wort
IMG_0976.jpg

The sweet wort
IMG_0978.jpg

Starting to boil
IMG_0979.jpg

Boiling nicley
IMG_0983.jpg

SG 1050
IMG_0984.jpg

Glad you got there ni9e, great pics too :cheers: Got me in the mood to brew a stout later this week too. :)

I wanna brew a stout now too :drink:

Great pics ni9e, let us know what you think of first wort hopping (assuming you dont normally do it)

Lovely looking wort that :thumb:

Latest posts

Back