Grain prices creeping up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think that the problem is that there has been a rise in prices from the maltster, the wholesale price was held down and has just taken a big jump, (positively speaking last year I saved half the increase). There have been massive increases across all the areas that maltsters need (transport/fuel and heating fuel/gas). I don't think (as I have put in earlier) that the HB suppliers are shafting, the 30% add on is about the going rate to cover their overheads. And you can get everything from them so reducing different suppliers shipping.

Who is shafting us is the government, allowing for these massive price rises in power costs.

(And I just checked Pops malt with shipping £40)
I wasn't pointing the finger at the HBS, but I don't get why those who sell Crisp's MO sell it for more than the smaller maltsters' MO, Simpsons or Munton, for example. I get even less why the traditionally cheaper Malts such as Crisp's Best Ale malt (flagon) and Minch Hook Head, have taken more of a hike than the premium malts, but Baird malts at BrewUK, less so being only £33 a bag. In fact I don't blame the HBSs at all (at least not over this) as I think it's the maltsters who are raking it in and Crisp seems to be the worst offender with Baird the least. How can Brew UK sell pale ale, low colour pale, and lager malts at £32.99 when everybody else except THBC is well north of £40. Why is MO only £30.25 and pale malt only £29.60 at Tuckers in Crediton? Why is Pop's pale only £27.50?
Most of the cheaper prices are smaller maltings who don't have the economies of scale of the likes of Crisp.
And yes, the government is shafting us, but that doesn't mean others have to follow suit.

Do unto others as they do to you, i stand here proud and tall shouting i shall not be shafted by the rip off merchants, i will buy from local brewery's, Baird's who charge a fair price, i will tough it out while waving 2 fingers in the air and i my never go back that'll teach em phew i need a beer now

Do unto others as they do to you, i stand here proud and tall shouting i shall not be shafted by the rip off merchants, i will buy from local brewery's, Baird's who charge a fair price, i will tough it out while waving 2 fingers in the air and i my never go back that'll teach em phew i need a beer now about hops, speciality malts and yeast?
And your hops, speciality malts, yeast, chemicals, cleaners, sanitisers and sundries?

I wasn't pointing the finger at the HBS, but I don't get why those who sell Crisp's MO sell it for more than the smaller maltsters' MO, Simpsons or Munton, for example. I get even less why the traditionally cheaper Malts such as Crisp's Best Ale malt (flagon) and Minch Hook Head, have taken more of a hike than the premium malts, but Baird malts at BrewUK, less so being only £33 a bag. In fact I don't blame the HBSs at all (at least not over this) as I think it's the maltsters who are raking it in and Crisp seems to be the worst offender with Baird the least. How can Brew UK sell pale ale, low colour pale, and lager malts at £32.99 when everybody else except THBC is well north of £40. Why is MO only £30.25 and pale malt only £29.60 at Tuckers in Crediton? Why is Pop's pale only £27.50?
Most of the cheaper prices are smaller maltings who don't have the economies of scale of the likes of Crisp.
And yes, the government is shafting us, but that doesn't mean others have to follow suit.
Pops are a Maltster they are 28.50 (+ VAT) Crisp MO ale is £26 (+ VAT) from Crisp. I would suggest that old stock, after all we're only a few weeks after turn of year when I think that the rises went on, may be the reason. I don't know what price BrewUK were selling it, have they raised their prices or is it same as 2022?

don't know what price BrewUK were selling it, have they raised their prices or is it same as 2022?
I think their prices haven't gone up. Brewuk are one of the vendors I check when buying ingredients. They were always a bit more expensive than THBC used to be, which is the ballpark they are currently selling malt at

Do unto others as they do to you, i stand here proud and tall shouting i shall not be shafted by the rip off merchants, i will buy from local brewery's, Baird's who charge a fair price, i will tough it out while waving 2 fingers in the air and i my never go back that'll teach em phew i need a beer now
Micro brewer I get my grain from said there is a problem with crisp malts and he might not be getting them in future. Didn’t get into what the issue was but I assume price

Micro brewer I get my grain from said there is a problem with crisp malts and he might not be getting them in future. Didn’t get into what the issue was but I assume price

Last bag i've had from Crisp has been terrible, i've had awful efficiences with it, have had to add a kilo more malt and less sparge water to get my normal gravity.

Fwiw there’s nothing wrong with crisp malt in my experience, I’ve got several bags of various types both new and old. Was good value but now might look at bairds.

I've had crisp before with no issue, just talking about the bag I have now after reading what @Donegal john had to say. 👍
How old was the crisp malt ?
The bbd on the bags I just got are 12 months from now. So fresh as can be. I’ve pale malt in the garage that’s out of date 9 months and still gives me good efficiency

You might find the shops still selling cheaper malt are probably selling old stock and once new stock comes in the price will go up the same as others. If any old stock is already crushed be carefull

Seems to me best place to buy your grains is from your local brewery if you have one near you and they will sell them to you .My nearest place to buy is Crafty Maltsters at £28.50 for 25kg of Pale Malt though I have enough stock at present . I will probably go and get one at that price though I have never tried their malt before so question is whats it like?
Its excellent. Funnily enough they'd been out of stock for a few weeks and I emailed to check when it would be back in and got a nice reply on thursday to say it'd be back friday.

I just dropped $86 or £72 for a sack of golden promise. I am ok with it considering it's keeping the LHBS open so I can swing in anytime and fill up my CO2 and pick up some odds and ends when needed.

Back