Grain prices creeping up.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Following recent advice from the Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and How-to-be-a-cretin, and with the exorbitant price of malt, I've decided to have a go at this one.
1677310535952.png

If anyone has any experience or thoughts in this area, I'd be grateful to hear them. In the meantime, this might be a useful source of inspiration.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/hops-recommendation-for-turnip-beer.528113/

I've just been doing a bit of research and, unlike potatoes, parsnips etc, swedes and turnips contain hardly any starch. I'd better leave the turnips to Baldrick, then, and get cracking on my potato porter. I was thinking of using extra light maris piper as my base spud.

And some roasties to bring up the colour.

Murphey's might be a good name for it.

Last edited:

Slightly embarrassed to say that I've always thought swedes were turnips. My parents called swedes turnips and so have I my entire life (until 3 years ago and I'm 42....) I very rarely see an actual turnip so when I did see one I just thought it was some exotic root vegetable. I blame my parents.

Slightly embarrassed to say that I've always thought swedes were turnips. My parents called swedes turnips and so have I my entire life (until 3 years ago and I'm 42....) I very rarely see an actual turnip so when I did see one I just thought it was some exotic root vegetable. I blame my parents.

It depends where you live I think. Neeps are Swede, not white turnips.

Swede is short for Swedish Turnips.

I've just been doing a bit of research and, unlike potatoes, parsnips etc, swedes and turnips contain hardly any starch. I'd better leave the turnips to Baldrick, then, and get cracking on my potato porter. I was thinking of using extra light maris piper as my base spud.

And some roasties to bring up the colour.

Murphey's might be a good name for it.
You may laugh, @Clarence , but you've reminded me of a recipe I formulated ages ago and I've just found it on the pages of my brewing book between beers brewed in early September, 2020. It's adapted from a description and comments made by Lars Garshol, in his book and I think he calls it Öxabäck Ale. It calls for 10% mashed potatoes, Juniper-smoked malt and Sigmund Voss. Well it so happens that I've got about 5Kg of spuds running to seed as they've been kept too long and I've got some superannuated rauchmalz so I might give it a whirl. Garshol adds that the the spuds were there to increase the strength and give the beer a foamy head. i also got the impression that he thought there was something slightly shameful about using spuds in your beer! I wonder if I'll get round to making it. I can PM you the recipe if you like.

Swede is short for Swedish Turnips.
Ooooooh!

Also, what English people call a swede, the Scottish call a turnip.
So Haggis, neeps and tatties is Haggis, swede and potatoes, with "neeps" being short for "turneeps"

Last edited:
@Clarence

After Russia’s invasion of Ukraine last year, some Black Sea ports were blocked and Ukrainian grain – which is significantly cheaper than that produced in the EU – ended up staying in central Europe mainly because of logistical bottlenecks.

The resulting glut and price crash have hit local farmers hard and pose a pressing political problem, in particular for Poland’s governing nationalist Law and Justice (PiS) party, which has otherwise been one of Ukraine’s most trenchant supporters since the war began but relies on support from rural voters and faces a tight election this year.
Ukraine is a major producer of grain. So AAIU, when Russia blockaded the ports, this caused a global shortage. But the grain didn't just vanish, and so locally in Ukraine, there was a major excess of grain. Presumably that grain could still be exported over land borders to neighbours like Slovakia, Hungary and Poland, causing a huge glut of grain locally in the region.

Latest posts

Back