Grainfather G30 V3

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S7655

Reaction score
Hi
I have completed my first ever all grain brew which went really well. Unfortunately I had one stumbling block in that the wort had far too much grain in it post boil. This blocked the discharge pipe meaning that I was unable to use the chiller because of a complete lack of flow.
Appreciate it if anyone has any ideas where I went wrong.

Many thanks

I did my first G30 brew last weekend - A London Pride kit from the malt miller. What did you brew?

Didn't have any problems with grains in the wort. Only issue i did have is that the filter did get very clogged with hop residue, so will be getting a stainless steel jubilee clip to secure the rubber outlet adapter so I can do a whirlpool

You shouldn't have any grain in the boil - it should all be kept in the grain basket

Do you think you may have dislodged the bottom perforated plate and allowed grain to escape the grain basket?
Did you have lots of wort going down the overflow pipe? If you do, then grain can go with it. You can either reduce the recirculation flow, or put a little tea strainer over the overflow.

the new g3 doesn't have a top plate or overflow pipe. So possible that the grain crush was too fine or you were recirculating the wort too quickly at the mash stage.

Also another tip.....un do the top fitting on the recirculation pipe (the one that has a ball bearing & spring in) and clean it out. Be careful that the spring and ball don't fly out.

the new g3 doesn't have a top plate or overflow pipe. So possible that the grain crush was too fine or you were recirculating the wort too quickly at the mash stage.

Also another tip.....un do the top fitting on the recirculation pipe (the one that has a ball bearing & spring in) and clean it out. Be careful that the spring and ball don't fly out.

I did think that the crush looked a bit fine but as it was my first ever brew I couldn’t be sure. I shall take note of the recirculating the wort rate on the next brew I didn’t think of that.
Many thanks to all your great ideas

I did think that the crush looked a bit fine but as it was my first ever brew I couldn’t be sure. I shall take note of the recirculating the wort rate on the next brew I didn’t think of that.
Many thanks to all your great ideas
Happy to help. What did you brew & what's next?

There are some good YouTube videos for the grainfather. Some by grainfather themselves and others by the community like David heath. They are for the previous generation models, but easily applicable to your new model. Worth watching to see what it's like and what to expect/aim for

Latest posts

Back