Grainfather G70 - worth it?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombo

Reaction score
Anyone on here own a grainfather G70? Would you share your experience with it please. I'm considering one but read that it has a few problems from being underpowered to poor/fluctuating temperature control. Also that it take forever to get to and keep a rolling boil?
It's ALOT of money to spend for the above if they are correct.
Thanks

Some info here.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...sion-thread-questions-tips-and-tricks.726833/
I'm a Guten 70 user, similar to the brewzilla 3 65litre, mainly using for 25 litre batches normal and high gravity. Happy with this. I have pimped it though.
Thank you but it's the G70 I'm interested in specifically because I can get a brand new boxed and still sealed one for £400 from a bankruptcy sale. Still slot of money though if it doesn't work as intended.

Anyone on here own a grainfather G70? Would you share your experience with it please. I'm considering one but read that it has a few problems from being underpowered to poor/fluctuating temperature control. Also that it take forever to get to and keep a rolling boil?
It's ALOT of money to spend for the above if they are correct.
Thanks
I would buy it at that price and make a damn good profit on reselling it. They are well made but don't be fooled into thinking that any all-in-one is a set-and-forget.
There is a lot of misleading advertising hype between the two overpriced SVBs. Something simple that works just as well if not better without being pretentious and is cheaper is The 70 litre Brew Devil and 65 litre Hop Cat.
Sell for a handsome profit buy one of the above and trouser the rest of the money to be used for ingredients.

Flippin' heck! There's some scary posts! I do have a G70, but not the problems people are discussing here ... yet? (I've only tried 45L batches).

But I never believe all the printed stuff about volumes and he like. And I did have a little trouble sorting out deadspaces in the system (the pump can create very unreliable volume readings in the right environments). It has been a bit more hassle setting up than the G30, but if you're just accepting it as "good-to-go" I think you could have issues.

There is the "under-powered" issue, but I can't believe any make of vessel will be good at boiling 70L with a 3KW element ... I get worried watching the G70's lame boil of 45L (my, currently off-line, 70L 3V setup has 6 KW elements).

Flippin' heck! There's some scary posts! I do have a G70, but not the problems people are discussing here ... yet? (I've only tried 45L batches).

But I never believe all the printed stuff about volumes and he like. And I did have a little trouble sorting out deadspaces in the system (the pump can create very unreliable volume readings in the right environments). It has been a bit more hassle setting up than the G30, but if you're just accepting it as "good-to-go" I think you could have issues.

There is the "under-powered" issue, but I can't believe any make of vessel will be good at boiling 70L with a 3KW element ... I get worried watching the G70's lame boil of 45L (my, currently off-line, 70L 3V setup has 6 KW elements).
I can't believe a company like grainfather can have got it so wrong if all the reports are to be believed and then not correct things with a firmware update.

I can't believe a company like grainfather can have got it so wrong ...
I've got a big pot of pills with a label "Skepticism".

Would you like some?

(The pills have no brand loyalty; they'll apply to anything).

well I've just done a 60 litre brew on the G70 Today took a while to get to the boil but that is my only criticism the counter flow chiller with a bit of adjustment of flow rates landed the wort in the fermenter at bang on 20 degrees

Latest posts

Back