Help choosing a wort chiller

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andyg55

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Up to now I've been brewing 5-gallon batches using the Palmer method (3-gallons in a 5-gallon boiling kettle mixed with cold water in the fermenter). I've been chilling the kettle down using iced water in the sink.

I'm about to purchase a 15-gallon kettle for all-grain brewing and I need some help choosing a wort chiller. They all seem a little complex. Ideally, I'd like something that has the least chance of introducing contamination. I'm not desperate to get the kettle down to temperature as fast as humanly possible (although quick is nice).

What would your recommendations be? I'm currently looking at this wort chiller from Northern Brewer:

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/northern-brewer-stainless-counterflow-chiller
Cheers,
Andy

I use a spiral type I made myself. It's great during the cooler months when the cold tap is cold but during the summer it's not so good. A counter flow might be better or no chill.

I use a plate chiller and they work really well. Mine is 30 plates I believe and cools 30 litres from boiling to pitching temp in about 40 minutes.

I heard that plate chillers are tougher to clean than the coiled wort chillers. Is this true? Does anyone ever have contamination issues with plate chillers?

I'm about to purchase a 15-gallon kettle for all-grain brewing and I need some help choosing a wort chiller. They all seem a little complex. Ideally, I'd like something that has the least chance of introducing contamination. I'm not desperate to get the kettle down to temperature as fast as humanly possible (although quick is nice).
What would your recommendations be? I'm currently looking at this wort chiller from Northern Brewer:

Many members have made their own the guy below recons it cost him £20 for all parts -

I heard that plate chillers are tougher to clean than the coiled wort chillers. Is this true? Does anyone ever have contamination issues with plate chillers?

I don’t think I understand how people would struggle. To clean mine I just use clean water in the sink and circulate this through my pump and chiller - suck up with the pump then through the chiller and back into the sink.

When using the chiller I do run the boiling wort through it for the last 15 minutes to make sure it’s sterilised. You can see it on my brewday posts.

It isn’t easy to completely empty it of water but you can get pretty close with a robust shake and if you feel the need, put it in a warm oven to dry out thoroughly. I don’t.

Many members have made their own the guy below recons it cost him £20 for all parts -

Is there any concerns about using copper in an acidic environment? I would prefer stainless steel, even if it doesn't have as good thermal conductivity as copper.

I don’t know why copper is ok to use. But I made my own coiled chiller from 10mm copper pipe from Screwfix. I bent it round an old paint tin. I have been using it for a few years now with no ill effects. I put it into the boil for the last 15 mins to sterilise it. It is easy to clean afterwards. I think a lot of people use copper chillers. In years gone by, kettles were made from copper I believe.

I use two home made copper coil chillers. One is fitted permanently in the kettle/boiler and the second one (only used in the warmer months) goes in a bucket of water to which I add a bag or two of ice when the temperature gets down to 30-40 degrees. Obviously both chillers are connected in series. Chills a 5 gallon brew down to around 20 degrees in about 30 minutes.

Andy,

I use that exact wort chiller in my set-up. I have a 65L BrewZilla all-in-one.

I have added on a few things for ease of use.

full

I have Camlocks on both water and wort inlets and outlets.

I use a digital thermometer to monitor wort outlet temperature.

I use the pump on the BrewZilla to push the wort through the chiller into a FermZilla.

I have no trouble to knock out from boiling to 20C as fast as the pump will move the wort.

Latest posts

Back