HELP - Coopers Stout eruption in the FV

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerfeld

Reaction score
Hi.
I've just started my Coopers Stout (with liquorice) yesterday and overnight the thing kind of erupted, foam still coming out of the airlock.

What should I do?

Thanks

IMG_20141010_073721.jpg

I've had this happen too - I think everyone who's tried the Coopers stout has had some sort of episode!

You need a blow out preventer.

Get a bit of syphon tubing and jam one end onto the main body of the airlock. I found the best thing was an old milk bottle (from the supermarket) so you can keep the top screwed on. Cut a slit in the neck of the bottle. Pour some sterilising solution or campden solution into the bottle and crew the top back on. Stick the free end of the tubing through the slit and under the liquid.

This should give you enough expansion space and if some does make it up the tube it won't go everywhere.

As a fail-safe you can put the whole lot in the bath so if anything does leak at least it's somewhere you can easily clean.

Thanks WER, I'm going to give this a go. The amount coming out, however, leads me to think it may fill up quickly :-(

I may be wrong but wont the water you put in the bottom of the container stop it foaming as much.

You seem to have made a fundamental error in the location of your fermenting bin - it should be on a shelf in your airing cupboard with piles of duvets, pillows, blankets etc underneath to mop up the overflow :lol:

Latest posts

Back