High Time I Changed My Fermenters

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

An Ankoù

Landlord.
Reaction score
Thoughts, please.
I really need to start thinking about superannuating my 30-year-old, 7-gallon, Hop & Grape fermentation buckets as they really are getting tatty. I quite like the idea of a conical fermenter so that I can clear the yeast cake and then rack or bottle the beer. Not really interested in the Grainfather or Brewtech models as I really don't need all the bells and whistles, which seem to cost an arm and a leg for little return. Not impressed, either by the stainless steel versions of a plastic bucket- I might as well use a plastic bucket! But I am interested in this little monkey. Any thoughts would be gratefully received. I tend to have three fermenters on the go at any one time- sometimes more if I'm lagering.

https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/fastferment-7-9-gal-30l-conical-fermenter/

I am not ready to change my Fv's yet as I have got quite a few years left in them. I am also with you on the not paying for something I do not need i.e SS and bells and whistles just something to ferment and do the job.
They look pretty good to me the only neg from me personally is the wall mounting as I would not be able to do that in my situation but I am sure I have seen similar that uses a plastic coated metal stand if that is a issue to youathumb..
Ps may seem a lot but I am sure you will get 10 years plus out of them so in the bigger picture cost effective

I've thought of getting a conical but the height is an issue for bunging in my tatty old fridges... 🙂
Yeah, I was thinking that. I'll just use the old fermenters when I need refrigeration. For 7-8 months of the year I can brew without refrigeration provided I make all my lagers in the winter. I just move the beer to cold parts or warm parts of the house depending on what I'm brewing.

Latest posts

Back