Hobbies.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live in the countryside, so spend most of my time running or cycling around when I'm not working. Couple of half marathons lined up in the very near future, which means I need to cut back on the ale though
And then in the evening I drink beer in my garden and enjoy my guilty pleasure of stargazing / astro photography

My problem with hobbies is always obsession.

At present it is making beer - probably more creation and researching, than just drinking it.

In the past- 2:38 marathon in my early 30's - I still run maybe 35-40 miles a week, at age 58, but nowhere near the 5,000 miles logged in the year before the 55 mile London to Brighton run in 1992. (I ran 9th in 6:44).

Nothing is just a little hobby - it all builds into an obsession in the end.

I was always a quite decent swimmer, technically speaking, but not the right muscle fibres for a sprinter. None the less, my own mid-life-crisis was swimming one mile, on the hour, every hour, for 24 hours. The day itself was easy, but swimming ~ 30km a week for many months beforehand certainly was not.

Obsession?

Or just a hobby.

Seems like I never really "got" the difference.

Alternating between -> E-biking, zzr1440, motorhome, arduino boards, walking the dog, playing modern war on the mobile, browsing inet forums etc, chilling doin nowt, ohh n suppin beer.

I've always found that my own Hobbies, Passions and Obsessions have been driven by the money, time and level of fitness available in which to indulge myself.

Over the last sixty years I have:

o Fished for everything from Gudgeon in the Trent to Tuna and Shark off the West Coast of Africa.

o Scuba Dived in the seas all around Britain.

o Built and/or modified thirteen boats and sailed all over Europe.

o Motorhomed and caravanned all over Europe, America and Canada.

o Played (very badly and ONLY for my own amusement) an accordion, a squeeze box and an electronic keyboard.

o Cycled all over Europe.

o Motorbiked all over Europe.

o Walked dozens of Munroes in Scotland.

o Brewed (and drank) wine and beer off and on since about 1969.

o Swam, dived and played water polo at County level.

o Played football for a variety teams.

o Belonged to a very successful "Tug 'o War" team. (1st Prize a Barrel of Beer!)

o Played Badminton, Table-Tennis, Squash and Golf.

o Shot deer, pheasants, grouse and rabbits (and ate them all) as well as various creatures classed as "vermin".

o Raised chickens and ducks just for the hell of it; and also ate them all. :whistle:

I'm pretty sure that I have missed out a number of my hobbies and pastimes, but I just daren't ask SWMBO for her input because she will:

1. Remind me exactly how much money I have spent (or "Wasted!" as she describes it) pursuing these and other "hobbies".

2. Wonder why I have not included building things (cottages, septic tanks, showers, conservatories, coal-bunkers etc), painting things (houses, garages etc) and mending things (houses, cars, vans, sheds etc) ...

... because she definitely seems to think that THEY are all "hobbies" as well! :whistle:

I mountain biked this morning and rode my Vespa T5 scooter in the afternoon. Time for a beer, which is another hobby. I have built 5 sports cars from scratch, to my own designs but with too much in the garage I have no space to build my next dream machine.

...Dutto get your name down for the next Bond....

image.jpg

I'm a musician, playing trombone in 5 different bands of many different styles: trad jazz, swing music, latin/salsa, rock 'n' roll, and traditional brass band

I have an allotment and veg and flower beds at home and a greenhouse and a flock of chickens

I like to mountain bike, even though I am not good at it.

I enjoy cooking and making pickles and fermenting stuff (hehe, besides beer).

I've always found that my own Hobbies, Passions and Obsessions have been driven by the money, time and level of fitness available in which to indulge myself.

Over the last sixty years I have:

o Fished for everything from Gudgeon in the Trent to Tuna and Shark off the West Coast of Africa.

o Scuba Dived in the seas all around Britain.

o Built and/or modified thirteen boats and sailed all over Europe.

o Motorhomed and caravanned all over Europe, America and Canada.

o Played (very badly and ONLY for my own amusement) an accordion, a squeeze box and an electronic keyboard.

o Cycled all over Europe.

o Motorbiked all over Europe.

o Walked dozens of Munroes in Scotland.

o Brewed (and drank) wine and beer off and on since about 1969.

o Swam, dived and played water polo at County level.

o Played football for a variety teams.

o Belonged to a very successful "Tug 'o War" team. (1st Prize a Barrel of Beer!)

o Played Badminton, Table-Tennis, Squash and Golf.

o Shot deer, pheasants, grouse and rabbits (and ate them all) as well as various creatures classed as "vermin".

o Raised chickens and ducks just for the hell of it; and also ate them all. :whistle:

I'm pretty sure that I have missed out a number of my hobbies and pastimes, but I just daren't ask SWMBO for her input because she will:

1. Remind me exactly how much money I have spent (or "Wasted!" as she describes it) pursuing these and other "hobbies".

2. Wonder why I have not included building things (cottages, septic tanks, showers, conservatories, coal-bunkers etc), painting things (houses, garages etc) and mending things (houses, cars, vans, sheds etc) ...

... because she definitely seems to think that THEY are all "hobbies" as well! :whistle:
:hmm:Dutto
is that it?:lol::lol:
Oh and one other thing, we have bigger gudgeon in the Thames than the Trent:-P:party:

:hmm:Dutto
is that it?:lol::lol:
Oh and one other thing, we have bigger gudgeon in the Thames than the Trent:-P:party:

With all the recycled female hormones that Thames Water sell under the name "water", I wouldn't be surprised if you had to fight off barracuda to go for a swim in the Serpentine! :thumb:

I quote:

"The River Thames is the cleanest river in the world that flows through a major city. This is a major feat considering that fifty years ago the river was so polluted that it was declared biologically dead."

Which was about the time that I swam in the Serpentine after my parents had dragged me down to London to visit the Festival of Britain.

Happy Days! :whistle:

With all the recycled female hormones that Thames Water sell under the name "water", I wouldn't be surprised if you had to fight off barracuda to go for a swim in the Serpentine! :thumb:

I quote:

"The River Thames is the cleanest river in the world that flows through a major city. This is a major feat considering that fifty years ago the river was so polluted that it was declared biologically dead."

Which was about the time that I swam in the Serpentine after my parents had dragged me down to London to visit the Festival of Britain.

Maybe something you left behind breathed new life into the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quote:

Blimey,if you go for a swim in the Serpentine you better watch ya nuts:lol:
It's alive,and i mean alive with crayfish and
they are big b#####s:-o

Blimey,if you go for a swim in the Serpentine you better watch ya nuts:lol:
It's alive,and i mean alive with crayfish and
they are big b#####s:-o

Does no-one bother catching and eating them? It's easy enough to make a trap to catch them.

They are delicious; boiled for five minutes in slightly salted water and then served in a paella or cold with mayonnaise and crusty bread.

In. France they have size limits and seasons when the local crayfish can be caught and eaten; and in some areas, the American "invasive" ones can be caught and eaten all year round. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back