How can I improve this extract kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donchiquon

Reaction score
I've got a few hours spare later this week, and am hopeless slowly at AG :lol: so have decided to use an extract kit I had lying around.

The kit involves steeping some grains and an 11 litre boil, but I am wondering whether I can do anything to improve the process? - such as steep the grains for longer or boiler a larger volume (as I have a 30l boiler) etc.

If not then I'll crack on with the recipe as described!

Here's the recipe and process, any thoughts appreciated :thumb:

==========

Golden Ale
3.6 kg liquid LME
200g Caramalt, 100g Carapils
Bittering hops - Herkules 10g
Aroma hops - Brewers Gold 50g, Cascade 50g
Yeast - Burton Union 10g
23litres, 1049 SG

Brewing Instructions:
1. Pour your grains into your grain bag; And tie a knot in the top, leaving enough room for the grains to move about.
2. Add 11 litres of water to your boiling pot.
3. Place your grain bag into your pot.
4. Begin to heat your water to 65 degrees on the hob.
5. Once you reach 65 degrees, set a timer for 30 minutes.
7. After 30 minutes, carefully lift your bag out of the pot. Hold it above the pot and allow it to drain. Do not squeeze the bag.
8. Once the grain bag is drained add your malt extract to the pot, stirring thoroughly to prevent this from scorching on the bottom.
9. Bring the liquid to the boil by applying heat. (BE CAREFUL IT DOESN’T BOIL OVER).
10. As soon as the boil begins, add your bittering hops.
11. Set a timer for 60 minutes.
12. Allow the beer to boil vigorously for 60 minutes.
13. Once the full 60 minutes is up, take your pot off of the heat and add your aroma hops (see your for aroma hops). Allow this to stand for 30 minutes.
14. Chill & pitch yeast etc......

If you haven't made this recipe before I would just make it according to the instructions. Make a starter as MyQul suggests. Take. Taste test whe it's nearing the end of being in the FV for 2 weeks, if you like the taste leave it be, if you feel it needs an added bit of taste dry hop with something. But wth 50g of cascade I would doubt that it will need anything else.

Thanks MyQul and Klemay83

The yeast is a Mangrove Jacks dry version, so I was just planning on rehydrating. Usually find that this, plus the ususal plasterers paddle on a drill does the trick.

It sounds like there is nothing obviously amiss with the process - I just wondered whether the instructions had been simplified a bit and that maybe steeping times had been shortened to make things easier.

I agree with sticking with the recipe first time around, although in this case I'm unlikely to make it again as I've been truly bitten by the AG bug.

On the hunt for a decent Mosaic recipe next as I've really enjoyed the last couple of Citra brews and have a big bag of hops sitting in the cellar!

Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back