how long do pet bottles last.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was wondering how long coopers plastic pet bottles will approx. last for?

I was wondering how long coopers plastic pet bottles will approx. last for?

I've been using some of these for about 4 years. I had oxidation problems in a few bottles but I changed the caps and they've been fine since.

I guess if you weren't careful about how you wash them you could scratch the insides, creating places for spoilage organisms to hide.Thereby reducing the lifespan. Other than that they're pretty bullet proof.

Not sure I'd fancy aging a RIS or similar for a year or more in a plastic bottle,as PET is permeable to oxygen. Though some bottles are lined to prevent or at least reduce the permeability.

Not really a problem if you drink your beer quickly.I tend to age my brews.

As long as you take care of them they will outlive you! I prefer glass though.

Cheers
Jay :)

Years, and it's difficult to scratch the inside because nothing sticks so no need for abrasives. Empty one into a glass, give it a shake to dislodge the sediment then give it a quick swill under a tap, all done. I've never once out of hundreds drunk had to do anything more than that, including wine that's been in there for a year or more, even sparkling wine. Then I put half inch of no rinse in and seal it up ready for next bottling time.

I dont know if i got a bad batch but i find it really difficult to get a decent carbonation in mine. They are ok but i never get a hiss when i open them and they dont seem to swell.
Best plastic bottles i have are 1.5l swingtops which i bought with beer in. Never seen anymore but they are fantastic.

I use a pair of builder's gloves (for good grip) and twist really hard to get the caps on. First time bottling I did it with wet hands and soon removed a lot of skin :)

I dont know if i got a bad batch but i find it really difficult to get a decent carbonation in mine. They are ok but i never get a hiss when i open them and they dont seem to swell.
They don't swell as in change shape, just firm up a bit. They don't hiss either, I make sparkling wine in mine with massively more fizz than beer but even then no noise. Not a problem, just that plastic doesn't vibrate in the right way I guess.

I use a pair of builder's gloves (for good grip) and twist really hard to get the caps on. First time bottling I did it with wet hands and soon removed a lot of skin :)
There really isn't any need and probably you're just ruining the threads. I use a towel yes to prevent skin abrasion, but just a small amount of hand pressure is enough.

They don't swell as in change shape, just firm up a bit. They don't hiss either, I make sparkling wine in mine with massively more fizz than beer but even then no noise. Not a problem, just that plastic doesn't vibrate in the right way I guess.

There really isn't any need and probably you're just ruining the threads. I use a towel yes to prevent skin abrasion, but just a small amount of hand pressure is enough.
When I looked into using spring water bottles there were lots of posts of people saying they're no good as they had flat beer. Also the ones I bought have a click when tight. I'm fine continuing doing this and continuing to recommend doing so.

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

I use and re-use 2 litre PET bottles with their caps that have previously held cheap supermarket fizzy water and have never had one undercarbed bottle.
Neither have I

Sent from my HT7 using Tapatalk

I use the 500ml sparkling water bottles, when twofered throw the water away and they're still cheaper than coopers. Never had any issues carbing them up, but I only use them for beers drunk quickly because I assume they don't have the oxygen barrier layer inside.

Latest posts

Back