It's that time again-best place to buy grains for delivery?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Baron

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in need of base grain and I know the market is volatile and shifting so where is the best/cheapest to buy Lager and Pale Ale Malt at the moment.
I have no amenable breweries near me ( I live less than 2 miles from Fawcetts but only bulk from them)so it is postage. I have seen the Pauls malt but have never used it.
Advise welcome

I live less than 2 miles from Fawcetts
£8.99 is the cheapest option.

https://amzn.eu/d/4CANWIS
Have you tried approaching Fawcetts physically in person? I wonder if they'd be more accommodating face to face, and it being less work letting you load a couple of sacks into your own car.

Last edited:
I approached them a couple of years ago and they said it was a minimum of 10 sacks at that time.
Its looking like its going to be roughly a minimum of £40 a sack incl delivery.
MM £85 inc del for 2 sacks
Geterbrewed are even dearer and charge for crushing on top now
THBC £40 for Minch plus £8 delivery -they were my always go to but now?

£8.99 is the cheapest option.

https://amzn.eu/d/4CANWIS

hmmm, are you into something weird or was this a joke post ashock1

Capture.JPG

Have you tried Staffordshire Brewery?
The trouble is they charge a £5 handling charge per 25kg sack unless having 6 bags or more. Though I dare say that still might be competitive? A bit far from Castleford though

I have spoken to Fawcetts and they are still ok to sell a minimum of 10 bags, they also said that they did not charge vat but I am not sure on that as it is for homebrewers so maybe somebody with a little insight maybe able to clarify that.
Their price list is for a metric tonne and not individual bags although they do supply it in 25kg bags.
Maybe a small consortium in my area. I wander what happened to the one we had in the west of the country as there must have been a reason for it folding? or am I asking something I shouldn't

There must be somewere within 20 miles of you, modern cars go a fair way on £8-50 worth of juice
Hi Rod, Fawcetts is 2 miles away maybe I need half a dozen brewers with striking distance for a 10 bag order. They do seem happy to supply though. It is just what happened to the group buy we had that is putting me off as they just stopped virtually overnight?

Thanks Pilgrim just ordered 2 sacks not exactly what i wanted but will do for now.
1 of extra pale so I can use that for Lagers
1 of extra pale MO so can add a little Munich if need more back bone
£31 & £35 with free delivery over £45 athumb.. All Crisps

Thanks Pilgrim just ordered 2 sacks not exactly what i wanted but will do for now.
1 of extra pale so I can use that for Lagers
1 of extra pale MO so can add a little Munich if need more back bone
£31 & £35 with free delivery over £45 athumb.. All Crisps

Glad to be of help. I should have said that they also do a Blue Light Card discount if anyone is in the NHS, forces, police etc.

As things are the prices are good just hope the out of stock items don't go up too much but very competitive in the current climate.
Thanks again athumb..

This thread makes me all the more grateful to be able to pick up malt from the craftymaltsters for £27.50 for 25kg ....though note that they are now out of stock again! The price of a 25 sack now seems almost impossible now. I do find it difficult that we have a huge maltings 8 miles away but the won't sell to me as an individual.

That's the problem I have Anna, 2 miles away Fawcetts will sell but minimum of 10 bags but I am not complaining too much as the price I have just paid is not bad compared to what i was looking at

Latest posts

Back