It's that time again-best place to buy grains for delivery?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That flies in the face of the clear guidance set out in VFOOD9000 which does say it is how it is packaged that matters "when they are in any way packaged or prepared for use home brewing and wine making"

No it doesn't, you are missing the important bit "The same materials, (malt, hops, hop extract, barley etc), not prepared in this way and supplied to the commercial brewing industry, are therefore zero- rated"
Which, if we do supply a brewery zero rated we have to get their HMRC Brewery number.

Last edited by a moderator:
No it doesn't, you are missing the important bit "The same materials, (malt, hops, hop extract, barley etc), not prepared in this way and supplied to the commercial brewing industry, are therefore zero- rated"
Which, if we do supply a brewery zero rated we have to get their HMRC Brewery number.
'not prepared in this way' is arguably the important part of that sentence... They're defining the value add as the retail packaging for home brew in the core part of the sentence. I think perhaps the key question for you may actually be the fact that it's marketed at home brewers which makes the former true to some degree (even if not strictly). If it was a business product and positioned that way with occasional hobbyist customers VAT wouldn't be chargeable under this notice. Also there is a reasonable argument that people may buy barley in sacks for product development or other non homebrew purposes when not an HMRC registered brewer.

It sounds to me it depends on how you read the terms. I do know my brother was a Vat inspector and he said many years ago even they read somethings differently depending on the officer. I am not saying regarding the brewing issue but many other things so what one officer said yes to another could say no.
I do know most homebrew shops include vat and whether they carry this through to 25k sacks is a play safe who knows.
I am sure some of you Vat registered business owners could ask your Vat inspectors and see if we do get a different opinion, now wouldn't that be interesting

It sounds to me it depends on how you read the terms. I do know my brother was a Vat inspector and he said many years ago even they read somethings differently depending on the officer. I am not saying regarding the brewing issue but many other things so what one officer said yes to another could say no.
I do know most homebrew shops include vat and whether they carry this through to 25k sacks is a play safe who knows.
I am sure some of you Vat registered business owners could ask your Vat inspectors and see if we do get a different opinion, now wouldn't that be interesting
As far as I'm aware, it doesn't matter how we interpret the rules, it's how the VAT officials/judge interpret them. And in the case of HMRC, they will always tend to interpret the rules as "we'll interpret them so that we get paid tax at some point in the chain".

Grain for brewers is exempt tax (duty) is paid when selling the beer, so HMRC are happy
Grain for homebrewers incurs VAT so HMRC are happy
If 25kg sacks of malt for homebrewers wouldn't incur VAT then I'd expect HMRC to disagree with your interpretation.

It's not my interpretation Agent i was playing devils advocate. I do not know the answer and I think you are right in that all homebrew shops will charge Vat. I did contact a maltster who said they would not charge vat on 25 kg sacks and I did say I was a homebrewer

So, VAT controversy aside, where are we with current prices? Get 'Er Brewed seem to have bog-standard Crisp Best Ale at around 45 quid, plus about seven quid carriage. Is that about as good as it gets these days?

Staffordshire brewery PRICE LIST

They do charge £5 per 25kg sack "handling charge" if under 6 bags. No minimum order and they do deliver by carrier (charge applies)

It sounds to me it depends on how you read the terms.

That is very much the case.

THERE IS NO wrong or right in that rule, until its been tested in court, then there is a precedence 😁

I can think of at least two examples of "interpretation of the rules" and one specific where HMRC lost in court.

Last edited:
I just rang the place Galena links to. Delivery killed it for me, put the price of a bag of pale Planet malt up to £46. I asked for a price the other day in my local homebrew shop, and they said they'd do me a bag for £48. For the sake of a couple of quid, I might as well support my local shop.

I just rang the place Galena links to. Delivery killed it for me, put the price of a bag of pale Planet malt up to £46. I asked for a price the other day in my local homebrew shop, and they said they'd do me a bag for £48. For the sake of a couple of quid, I might as well support my local shop.
Fortunately for me, my nearest shop is the maltings!!

Try Brupaks Sheffield they are a bit low on supply but free delivery over £45 so a bag and a few bits will get you to free delivery

That's a shame, so I guess VAT to go on the list price of £23 makes delivery quite expensive. Fortunately its only 30 min drive for me though I have not been for a couple of years as I buy from a more local brewery.

Yes it is free over from memory £65 so 2 sacks will come free or it was when I got my order

Latest posts

Back