Keg shortage

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simon12

THBF Sponsor
THBF Sponsor
Reaction score
All the small breweries are having problems because theres a shortage of kegstar kegs, this isn't a huge surprise to me as they are terrible at collecting them, most are using some kind of plastic disposable kegs instead. Then I got an email from a distributer saying about how Heineken are struggling with a keg shortage and biera moreti is now being supplied in 100l kegs as its all they have. I don't understand why no one seems to be able to collect there empties, as far as I can tell pubs are mainly reopened and grants have kept them afloat at least for now. Does any one know whats going on?

There are still about 25% of pubs closed according to the last figures I saw, due to being unable to trade economically with social distancing in place. They will have a significant amount of kegs in their cellars. I doubt you can take that many units out of circulation without consequences.

My simplistic logic surmises if there are 25% of pubs closed, that'll be 25% fewer kegs needing to be filled and transported, so where's the problem? It must be that breweries aren't collecting empty kegs from places they're still delivering to.

There have been about 40+ at the back of one of my locals for weeks, if not months. I have no idea why, whether they are not being collected for some reason. Multiply that up and that's a shxx load of kegs.

Back