King Kegs - Flat as a fluke

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerRS

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got two brews in old king kegs that were given to me.

They have had enough time to carb up and the seals are good, the glasses I'm drawing off at the moment come out really fast which I expected from the first few but there's no gas in the drink.

The kegs are the top tap type with floats but I've never used them before.

What is going on? I've moved them under the stairs as it's cooler there but I'm a bit worried as one of them is a cider and I want it to be quite fizzy. I've got a CO2 cylinder to top up with.

Thanks,

Ryan.

You won't really get fizz ( as in bubbles in the beer) from a keg. Maybe a bit but nothing like you'll get from bottles. It'll be more like cask bitter from a pump.

Never done cider but wouldn't suggest barrels if you want it fizzy. Others with experience may differ though!

I think one of the problems is that it sits around 17C under the stairs. I've just opened the little window in hopes that it will get cooler but if not I'll start a kegerator project soon.

Luckily the brews I've put in the kegs are ok at low levels of fizz but I thought that you could get quite a bit of carb into a king keg/pressure barrel. I've got a corny that I'm just waiting to get the regulator for so I will put any future brews that I want to carb heavily in that.

Back