lagering?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
read a few things online and looked through the gregg hughes book.
found some info on temps etc for lagering but nothing to say if you lager in the fv for a month or bottle it after 2 weeks then chill it for a month..
i brewed this on the 12th (helles bock) and its still in the fv,been fermenting @ 18°c for 2 weeks,
so do i bottle it the chill it? or as i think,leave it in the fv for a month more at 2°c then bottle it?
any guidance appreciated :grin:

Hi!
I can't give you an authoritative answer, but can say this; earlier this year I stupidly injured my heel and was out of action for about 6 weeks. During that time I had a Cooper's stout in the FV but was unable to give it any attention other than to leave it cool in the fridge. I really worried about that brew but, when I was up and about again, it turned out to be a very nice beer.
The point I'm making is that leaving the beer in the FV did not have a deleterious effect on it.

Ideally before the end of fermentation your meant to raise the temps for a Diacetyl rest (around18c) then rack and lager at 3c. After that into a corny or for bottling you need to add more yeast. I bottled my Lager after only 3 days at 3c cos i needed the fridge. Its clear when warm but hazy when cold, not crisp in any way and well under carbed still after 2 weeks. Time will tell i guess.

I'm just 'lagering' my first continental brew, after taking forum advice, in my brew fridge at 1 deg C. It's been there, in a clean FV, for 3 weeks so far. I plan to leave it 6 - 8 weeks total then bottle & carb. Dunno if that's right or not. Let you know in another 2 months. I kept the yeast trub from the FV, so looks like I'll have to use some for carbing.

Ideally if you have used a true lager yeast you would rack your beer to a clean secondary FV when primary fermentation is complete & slowly reduce the temp by a couple of degrees each day down to about 1C & leave for a month or more before bottling.
Lager yeast produce sulphur compounds & undesirable flavours during yeast metabolism which during long lagering periods are effectively scrubbed off as C02 comes out of solution & fermentation completes.
This process gives lagers there distinctive clean pallet.
A diacetyl rest is sometimes also incorporated ware the temp is raised by a few degrees to prior to cold storing.

Ideally if you have used a true lager yeast you would rack your beer to a clean secondary FV when primary fermentation is complete & slowly reduce the temp by a couple of degrees each day down to about 1C & leave for a month or more before bottling.
Lager yeast produce sulphur compounds & undesirable flavours during yeast metabolism which during long lagering periods are effectively scrubbed off as C02 comes out of solution & fermentation completes.
This process gives lagers there distinctive clean pallet.
A diacetyl rest is sometimes also incorporated ware the temp is raised by a few degrees to prior to cold storing.

Here Bri's goes again!!
Been lost of post about lagering, but once I get my fermination fridge up n running I would try 'lagering' getting the racked wort down to 1C every day as suggested..but I'm stuck with the bottling bit! (Sorry my brain retention is bad!) would I add yeast at this stage when priming, due to lack of yeast to produce co2??
Or can I prime the bottle straight away...then leave then in a warm place for a few weeks...then slowly put the bottles into the fridge and drop the temp as suggested to 1C...
TBH baffle me...doesn't take much!
Thx

After thought!
With confusion and a definate answer that many ways to do it! Think the best would be for me....
But at the same time...if your going to try it! Why not try the 'proper way' then I know which is Which! If u know what I'm saying.???
Probly say "&£@! With that lark!"
Not defeatist!! Try owt once! Lol

I'm trying this method for my first lager. http://brulosophy.com/methods/lager-method/
A Czech pilsner recipe. It's 4 days in at 12°c and the airlock is still going nuts. Will take a gravity reading tomorrow to decide if it's time to ramp up the temp.

I should maybe do a more traditional method first. But I am impatient.

Nice one!
Once read it..it falls into place..lol
Just the priming the bottles with yeast (if needed) I'll prob will..
Thx

Nice one!
Once read it..it falls into place..lol
Just the priming the bottles with yeast (if needed) I'll prob will..
Thx

Great link on lagering method.:thumb:

If you really fancy doing things properly in German lager tradition then
Another way to prime beer before bottling particularly if you lager your beer for very long periods is called Krausening.

This is a traditional German method employed to avoid using sugar to prime hence avoiding breaking brewing purity laws in Germany.
when the beer has finished lagering you would add a certain amount of fermenting wort to the beer to effectively prime before bottling. Similar to a yeast starter
The time to add this wort is immediately after the yeast has gone through the initial respiration phase & is actively fermenting.
I think I remember reading some ware that the amount you would need to add is enough to raise the FG by 3 Or4 degrees.

Great link on lagering method.:thumb:

If you really fancy doing things properly in German lager tradition then
Another way to prime beer before bottling particularly if you lager your beer for very long periods is called Krausening.

This is a traditional German method employed to avoid using sugar to prime hence avoiding breaking brewing purity laws in Germany.
when the beer has finished lagering you would add a certain amount of fermenting wort to the beer to effectively prime before bottling. Similar to a yeast starter
The time to add this wort is immediately after the yeast has gone through the initial respiration phase & is actively fermenting.
I think I remember reading some ware that the amount you would need to add is enough to raise the FG by 3 Or4 degrees.

thx m8
interesting read..
but alas me thinks too much brain useage to do it....n u know how my tiny brain works.
but I like the 5 days ramping up the temp...then every 12hrs turn down a few degrees to 0C..
that that without looking it up! so some info is lodged in my brain.
ill try that method, and then miss the 12hrs milarky...why not people say its doestnt effect the lager..& is shaves time.
thanks again for spending time to post.:thumb:

Latest posts

Back