Leak testing corny

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mguthriem

Reaction score
So I got my first corny and decided to leak test it. As part of my job, I've worked with high pressure gas for many years and decided to try my default test: fill the system to working pressure, leave overnight, see if the pressure drops.

In considering this approach with my corny I thought it would be a waste of gas to fill the entire keg, so I filled it 90% with water and then attempted the test.

I watched it for the first 30 mins and pressure looked stable. But, by the morning, it was all gone!

So question: do I have a leak *or* did the gas just dissolve into the water? (keg was around 18C and I put 10psi in).

Cheers!
malcolm

Is the water fizzy?
What I do is soapy water On a sponge as soon as I fill and add gas.
I'm kinda paranoid at the thought of emptying a cylinder cause of a leak.

I didn't try the water yet, but thought such a small amount of gas wouldn't affect fizz much. I closed the bottle, so it was just what was in the ~1m line and the head space. But I'll try it tonight! Will also try soapy water.

So as a corollary: if I want to keep my beer fresh (once the water is replaced with the real thing), should I keep the co2 canister open until it's carbonated? Otherwise, it seems possible the P could drop (due to gas dissolving) and seal could be lost?

To carbonate I personally set regulator at 30 psi and then turn the gas on twice a day until the pressure equilibrates at about 20psi. This usually takes about a week at 6c.
I am a bit paranoid about losing a bottle of gas due to s leak to leave it on all the time.

I've been trying a similar approach. My fridge takes it to 4C, but gas seems to dissolve slowly, so takes many hours for P to drop. So makes sense to play it safe and close on bottle.

One of my kegs won't seal at 10psi. It's fine if I set it at 30psi, which I do for 24-36hrs (topping up twice a day like @Dads_Ale) before backing it down to 12-14psi for a few days before drinking. It just needs that initial high pressure to seal the lid nice and tight I think. :D

I thought you did?
I was looking for another vid that shows the keg being sealed by suspending it by the lid handle until it's sealed then closing the handle.
I thought it was that video but as you can see it int. i should have watched it before posting the link

It wur on youtube [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNNIgBX9Wvk[/ame]

Last edited:
I thought you did?
I was looking for another vid that shows the keg being sealed by suspending it by the lid handle until it's sealed then closing the handle.
I thought it was that video but as you can see it int. i should have watched it before posting the link

It wur on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNNIgBX9Wvk

sorry i wasnt having a pop....should have added a smiley

weird thing is for me it hasnt been the lids that have caused the probs..

been the bloody posts and im thinking thats from plastic pressure barrel mentality and not overtightening..

sorry i wasnt having a pop....should have added a smiley

didn't think you were, but it did point out it wur the wrong video.

I'm still trying to get the carbonation right. it usually takes me a few goes before the beer comes out as it should. It"s either too gassy or a bit flat until I've fine tuned it.
Then that upsets the other kegs in the fridge so I end up with a compromise on the 4 of them. I really need two more regulators so I can one on each keg .........................or 4 kegs with the same beer in them.
I could make a brew and call it the Hendry Ford ale, You a can have any beer you like so long as it's IPA.
On second thoughts I'll get more regulators and then another one for the beer gun and one more for carbonation oh! and one as a spare. At this rate it will be cheaper to go to the pub

lol on the carbonation...

im having same prob....and cant decide on whats best solution

I often over carb when I force carb my beer - I get frustrated with myself when I that....
I use a combo of pulling up on the Los when filling, using lube when needed, and using new o rings for the lids.
Every-so-often I can't get a post to seal - often needs a new poppet valve or a little ptfe tape around the thread on the post attachment.

I carb my beers by chilling them down to about 4-5c, connecting the gas, turning the regulator to 30psi, then I turn the keg on its side and rock it sideways back and forth for one minute and only one minute (I set a timer) I then disconnect the gas and pop the keg back into the fridge for 24 hours, after the 24 hours is up I release the pressure left in the keg and then connect it back up to the gas at around 5-10 psi (my regulator is not very accurate at lower pressures)I then leave it a day or two and its good to drink :thumb:

Back