Mad Goose

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Good Ed

Landlord.
Reaction score
Another Mad Goose clone planned for tomorrow, this time with New Zealand Hallertau as bittering

23L
4292g Maris Otter
334g Caragold
143g Wheat Malt
Mash 65C 90mins
32g NZ Hallertau 8.2%AA FWH 30.2 IBU
18g Willamette 6.3% 15mins 5.6 IBU
23g Cascade 6.8% 10mins 5.6 IBU
30g Cascade 6.8% 20min steep at 80C
90 min boil
OG1048; FG 1010; ABV 5%; IBU 41.4; EBC 8; Efficiency 73%
Yeast US-05

Looks Ok...we don't live far from the brewery, I know a guy who emailed them and they were very helpful, even made an offer to sell him some hops.. :thumb:..Out of their brews I love UBU, will have to see what I can knock up, best of luck for today keep us informed on how it turn out.. :thumb:

I love all Purity beers.

I've done a Mad Goose a few times with Hallertau Hersbrucker as FWH and with an overall 28IBU, more like a blonde style; so this time I've upped the bitterness and will get a nice kick from the NZ Hallertau, which I can recommend. I used them as a single hop in a St Peter's Organic Ale clone which turned out very good.

Mashing at the moment and hoping for a dry day :hmm:

Collested 31.5L at 1034

2012-06-09111031.jpg

Good Ed said:
Another Mad Goose clone planned for tomorrow, this time with New Zealand Hallertau as bittering

23L
4292g Maris Otter
334g Caragold
143g Wheat Malt
Mash 65C 90mins
32g NZ Hallertau 8.2%AA FWH 30.2 IBU
18g Willamette 6.3% 15mins 5.6 IBU
23g Cascade 6.8% 10mins 5.6 IBU
30g Cascade 6.8% 20min steep at 80C
90 min boil
OG1048; FG 1010; ABV 5%; IBU 41.4; EBC 8; Efficiency 73%
Yeast US-05

Hi there Good Ed

How did this latest version of your Mad Goose turn out?
This is one beer that I've been thinking about doing for a while. I've not had it that often but I've always enjoyed it when I have. It's one nice smooth beer yet very clean. Would be good to try and make some for myself :)

Cheers Tom

This turned out great, a really good beer, this is about my 5th version, and I'm not going to change anything for the next batch. The NZ Hallertau give a really good bitterness, and initially on first tasting I thought it should be a small bit less on IBU's but then as it matured it seemed just right. It's not an exact match to the real thing, but I prefer it. I find that with all the pale ales I brew they can be drunk young and in fact lose some of the hop flavours if kept too long.

Excellent news.

How does swapping out the NZ Hallertau in favour of Challenger sound? Or does Hallertau give something specific to the beer? I wouldn't think that much of the flavour would be carried over into the beer.....

Cheers Tom

That's up to you, the HZ Hallertau give you a nice citrus/lime zest bitterness, you'll get a different flavour with challenger, but give it a try, that's what its all about

That's interesting. I didn't think any of the flavour would get carried through. I might have a play, then again, I might not.
I won't be brewing forwa while yet so might see if I can get hold of some NZ Hallertau :-)

Cheers Tom

Good Ed, I am new to the homebrewing caper and have started out with a flurry of small batches to get to grips with things. I have a brew day planned for Friday and was planning to have a go at your mad goose clone, as mad goose is a fantastic pint. I am putting together the full instructions and realise I am not sure how to perform the 20 minute steep at 80 degrees, at which stage does this occur, is this with the FWH, or as the wort is cooling and reaches 80 degrees, or something else?
Also I have carapils rather than caragold, as I could not get caragold this at the time of purchase. Would you advise anything other than using the same quantity as your recipe?
Any assistance would be gratefully received.

NMH

the 20min steep at 80C is post boil, so do your boil then cool to 80C add the hops and maintain 80C for 20mins before chilling to pre pitch temperature.

Carapils wouln't be a substitute for Caragold which is a very lightly roasted crystal malt, but you could go with 97% Maris Otter and 3% Carapils and mash at 66C

Good luck :cheers:

Fantastic, thanks for the info. and such a quick response. I think I need all the luck I can get, although picked up some mad goose tonight and regardless of how it goes tomorrow, I shall do it justice :-)
Thanks again.

Apologies for the lack of brewday photos, I did take some and tried to post, but didn't get round to negotiating photo bucket.
After 4 weeks of patient waiting I tried the first bottle of this tonight. I have to say, first rate job Good Ed, this is amazing.
I followed your advice with the carapils / mash temperature and had to substitute NZ Hallertau with liberty. To my palate, I think this is almost the perfect pint and exceptionally close to the original on draft (and preferable to the bottles); if I tried this at a beer festival I would probably stick to it for the whole session.
This is only my second attempt at an all grain (well, what I have subsequently realised is BIAB) but I think gallon batch experiments are now a thing of the past; after Christmas I will be forced to get a boiler, mash tun cool box etc. to move up to brewing full 5 gallon batches of this bad boy.
Thanks again :hat:

Latest posts

Back