Moving off of my electric hob

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KeiranM

Reaction score
The last all grain brew I did was so difficult because of the electric hob, it took 4 hours to the 19L of wort to boil so I just got a gas burner and regulator from ebay, can't wait to get back to all grain brews :D

I get the 38l to 72c in about 30 and to the boil in about 25 mins.
And I get 2 and a bit brews from a 5kilo gas bottle.

My burner is either a 7.5kw or a 9kw.

Well I was hoping to see how many brews I could get from a 3.9kg bottle, this burner is a 2.5kw

Lol, yeah I'm starting to get worried now. Do you think this burner will simply not be powerful enough to brew?

each "ring" on a cooker is about 1.0 - 3.0KW depending on size and type

before when i had a 33 litre boiler i used the 3KW ring and the 1.25 kw ring together
so 4.25 kw that got 56C water out of my combi boiler to a boil in about 35/45 mins
if your new gas ring is 2.5kw which is a lot less than your cooker
so i recommend at least 5kw if not more

no need to worry though you still can get your cash back and get something more powerful if you want.

Ok thanks for your help guys. I'll just send the burner straight back and buy the one from 'themaltmiller'. Thanks for saving me a frustrating brew!

Hi KeiranM, I am looking to buy a gas burner, would you recommend the one you bought? Any other recommendations would be appreciated cheers.

Gordon said:
Hi KeiranM, I am looking to buy a gas burner, would you recommend the one you bought? Any other recommendations would be appreciated cheers.
If you are using around a 40 litre pot then you want a 7.5kw gas burner , maybe upto 50 litre .
But any bigger and you'll want more like a 8.5kw burner to cope .
I have a 33 litre pot and a 7.5kw gas burner and on brew day with my mash liquid (around 60c ish ) takes around 20 mins to reach boiling point .

I use the same 7.5kW gas ring as the Malt Miller sells with a 70 Litre pot, maximum brew length of 50 Litres. I only use it under my boiler, my HLT is electric.

I find the ring the ideal power output for me, but I do use it in a sheltered position as I brew in the garage, I'm not sure it would cope so well outside unless you built lots of wind breaks.

I get about 20 - 25 brews out of a 19kg Propane cylinder.

Which do you reckon heats the water quicker, the 7.4kw gas or a couple of 2.4kw kettle elements? I'm torn between the 2.
I was also tempted for a 400mm paella burner. I have just purchased a 70litre pot. With the idea of trying a few biab's before maybe full ag. Don't imagine I'll be using more than 35-40 litres for a while. Just wanted some future redundancy.

Sorry Gordon I've not used it yet, the weather here has been terrible so no outdoor brewing getting done :(

Back