My First ever Brew...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just trying to get the temperature down a bit. Still about 23c. Got to love my amateur cooling technique....

Wet tea towels and shoelace. Get in :rofl:
3efb1b85.jpg

Hi Guys

So the brews been fermenting for 48 hours now and I have started the develop this brown substance on top of the krausan...
62ee6982.jpg

Is this normal? Paranoid it's going Pete tong already! Is this infected or normal? I did prime the yeast at 25c. Would I have killed some yeast and have this ad a result of maybe too faster fermentation? :hmm:

Thanks chaps :thumb:

yes its normal and usually a sign of good fermentation when the brew has settled down a bit lift the ring off and clean the brown muck off ( dead yeasts etc ) replace the ring and lid and let it carry on

Hi chaps,

Quick question...

So on day 5 when taking a hydrometer reading a short while ago it was 1.017. After starting at 1.043.

Rumour has it i may of happened to have a little try of the brew at the same time... :D

At this stage should the beer be tasting at least drinkable? Or too early to judge any taste?

I only ask as it was near on undrinkable, extremely bitter and i seem to have no visible fermentation...

Thanks for your time :thumb:

Sounds like it's getting there mate :thumb:
The taste will get better, at 1.017 it's not even finished fermenting yet :nono:
Give it at few days and take another reading, i leave all my brews in the fermenter for 10-14 days
:cheers:

About to tip all 23 litres of this down the plug hole :(

3 consecutive readings of 1.017 point out its finished fermenting. No bubbles and the head is now minimal and patchy.

The taste is disgusting. So much so that i cant even swallow the smallest sip. :shock:

Not going to bother bottling and then wait another month or two to try again and be similarly disappointed.

I'm not sure what went wrong with this, but i guess it was my first brew so shouldn't have expected too much. I followed all instructions exactly, but i reckon i pitched the yeast at too higher temp (25-26). It never really seemed to get 'going'. At best the head rose to about 1" and i gather there should have been a hell of a lot more activity than that. Anyone experienced this or have any pointers as to where i may have gone wrong for future reference?

Onwards anyway, won't dwell on it. Going to clean it all up, sanitise and get my Coopers Irish Stout on the go tonight. Hopefully THIS one will be a bit better :pray:

Sorry to hear your tipping it, sounds like some major issues if it is undrinkable. Fermenting at higher temps can give an off taste and funny flavors but it should always taste of beer! Not all brews will give a very large and vigorous fermentation, perhaps you have had a sanitation issue with this brew?

always sad to hear of the death of a brew........ :drink:

Onwards again my friend, try and think where you may have gone wrong infection killing the yeast are too major problem areas. Be scrupulous in your cleaning we keep saying it, but its the most important step in wine and beer making, never take short cuts when your doing it.

I'm not sure mate. It fermented at a steady 22c...maybe too high?

I think with the stout i will definitely try and keep it at the lower end of the 18-27 the instructions recommend and try to pitch the yeast at a lower temp.

Real shame :|

DanBarnes said:
I'm not sure mate. It fermented at a steady 22c...maybe too high?

I think with the stout i will definitely try and keep it at the lower end of the 18-27 the instructions recommend and try to pitch the yeast at a lower temp.

Real shame :|

Dan, as someone who has done 4 kits that are all pretty disgusting can I ask what sanitiser you used.

I have ruled just about everything out that I could have done wrong and the only constant in all 4 brews has been the steriliser.

That said I've rinsed for England each time.

I'm now giving All Grain a go via BIAB to see if that solves it.

Sorry you've come a cropper.

[/quote]

Dan, as someone who has done 4 kits that are all pretty disgusting can I ask what sanitiser you used.

[/quote]

Hi mate,

It's VWP Cleaner Steriliser. Small tub - white, red and green on it.

:cool:

nowt wrong with VWP, as long as its rinsed well in my experience.

[/quote]

Hi mate,

It's VWP Cleaner Steriliser. Small tub - white, red and green on it.

:cool:[/quote]

Cheers.

I used Milton first brew and then Asdas version of Milton last three times but have rinsed well.

That said I use the same stuff for all the wows / turbo ciders and never have a bad taste.

Everything...and i mean everything is sanatising as we speak ready for the stout. Including the tin opener! :grin:

I've got a Muntons Beerkit Enhancer for this one, but going to add a little bit extra.

I have black treacle, cocoa and dark brown soft sugar in front of me. Very tempted to add a little of all of them...bit overkill or mark of a genius?? :hmm:

Back