New brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake.

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve decided to restart brewing after 30 years out. I’ve started out with an extract kit and I’m brewing an IPA. Its fermented for 2 weeks. It’s now in bottles for secondary fermentation and the instructions say 1 week. I’ve seen different posts on here that refer to 2+2+2. Am I better leaving it for 2 weeks before moving it to condition or will one week do?
Also I’m desperate to get my next brew on but I’ve only got some Kopperburg cider bottles. Has anyone got any experience in using these for brewing as the lady in the shop advised me not to use Magners bottles.
Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum.
I have used Kopperburg bottles in the past and they do seem to be ok, never had a issue with mine so I would say ok to use IMO.
2+2+2 is the recommended times especially for newbies until you find a system that works for you but it is not cast in stone just a good routine to use but you can short cut some of the carbing as long as you have it in a good optimum place for carbing. A week may be enough but it will improve with time.
Ps I have drunk my beer quicker than the 2+2+2 in the past it is just not as good as the later bottles

Ok thanks for the quick response. I’ll leave it until next weekend so it’ll be 10 days and I’ll have more time for my next brew. I’ll give the kopperburg bottles a go. What’s the worst that can happen? 😭

Latest posts

Back