New to this - Help Appreciated please

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poppedin

Reaction score
Hi All
New member this evening. Thanks for allowing me to join. Aged 47 and thought I would give it a go!
Brewed my first batch, followed all instructions to the letter and waited with nervous anticipation to open last Saturday night.
Was way, way, way too carbonated so ended up using two 500ml bottles ( PET ) to just about fill a pint glass. Palatable but bland. It was a Young's brand pilsner (APV approx 4.8%). Been reading up on things and it sounds like I possibly primed with too much sugar in the bottles?
Any help and advice greatly appreciated please
Regards - Chris - Glasgow

1. Get a 2L plastic jar from Wilco to "do" the rest of the bottles. Just pour the over-primed bottles into that and then it will foam down.
2. Try easing the PET caps to let out some CO2 on an iterative basis.

The instructions you got on the one can kit are rubbish.

You want to leave any HB beer for 2 weeks before bottling etc

1. Get a 2L plastic jar from Wilco to "do" the rest of the bottles. Just pour the over-primed bottles into that and then it will foam down.
2. Try easing the PET caps to let out some CO2 on an iterative basis.

The instructions you got on the one can kit are rubbish.

You want to leave any HB beer for 2 weeks before bottling etc
Thanks for that . I started another batch last week. So at least two weeks before attempting anything?

Yes, indeed!

Modern kits make decent and very drinkable beer, but they do need some time. A great deal of the fermentables from a one can kit come from the sugar and that seems to mean a narrower "window" of drinkability. Maybe 4-12 weeks?

Adding Dry Malt extract rather than sugar does help the end product, though, there is a great deal of material on the forum to help you improve your beer and many members who will point you in the right direction.

Yes, indeed!

Modern kits make decent and very drinkable beer, but they do need some time. A great deal of the fermentables from a one can kit come from the sugar and that seems to mean a narrower "window" of drinkability. Maybe 4-12 weeks?

Adding Dry Malt extract rather than sugar does help the end product, though, there is a great deal of material on the forum to help you improve your beer and many members who will point you in the right direction.
Perfect. I will be sure to look out for it.

Back