Newbie first attempt

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbouk

Reaction score
Hi all
Completely new to winemaking so please bear with me. and I hope this post is in the correct forum.

I currently have my first ever batch on the go, thought I would start with an easy relatively inexpensive kit for my first foray a Cellar 7 Sauvignon blanc

My designated brew area is an unheated room at the back of our garage, so I purchased a heating pad to help maintain a good temperature.
The first day I left it on constant and the temp was too high hitting 24-26 degrees so after a bit of experimentation, I now have it on a timer set at 5 hours off one hour on and its currently bubbling away nicely at 22 degrees at the start of day 4.
Start SG was 1.070 and I will keep an eye on it over the next few days to see if the fermentation has ended the instructions state i should be looking for < 1.000 SG at this point.

My plan and please correct me if this is incorrect is to rack off into a wide neck fermenter with a tap on, de-gas , add the bits and bobs over the stated timescales, leave to clear for a couple of days then bottle straight from here using my little bottler.
The bottles will be corked, stood up for a few days before laying down for storage.

Fingers crossed all goes well, and after a bit of research, i have a Beaverdale Merlot on the way for my first try at a red.

Any advice and guidance would be greatly received.

Cheers

Jim

Iv only made a few Beaverdale kits and the first is nice now, the others are still bubbling ,clearing or maturing. Just stick to the instructions they provide seems to be the advice most given on here when it comes to kits. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back