No rinse sanitizers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken L

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've been looking at some of the US brewing video's on YouTube and no rinse sanitizers seem to be very popular.
I can see significant advantages in using a product like this for things like wine bottles and corks.
Has anybody tried one that they can recommend and which is readily available ?

Great stuff. Thank you.
At the moment, I'm using a combination of household bleach and powders from the HBS but the need to rinse and potential for tainting are a concern.
I'd gone off and found the StarSan since posting but it's a bit steep.
Fam 30 seems to be about £26 for 5L and is not quite as nasty as Peracetic Acid so it seems to tick all the boxes - will have a word with the farm boys to see if I can get hold on a few hundred mls to try it before heading off to the shop.

I know it's an old thread, but here goes.

I have used my sodium percarbonate rinse free steriliser on a demijohn, then transferred cider into it.
And I get a magic colour change from "wee yellow" to "doombar brown" (for want of a colour chart) by what I assume is the power of oxidation

So if your making cider, use a different method of sterilising/sanitising or rinse thoroughly.
2024-01-2215.51.196318255467556075291.jpg

These are from the same batch

Like instantly, before my eyes as the cider hit the bottom of the demijohn.
I considered stopping, but this was my last demijohn & was the dregs of the batch, so I thought I'd just leave it & see what happened

Blimey. If you hadn't mentioned the cause I would have said oxidisation. Which leads me to, is it chemical oxidisation?

Interesting that people worry about closed transfer, racking, Lodo etc... And probably the sanitizer is as much more of risk?

With are you planning to taste?

I know it's an old thread, but here goes.

I have used my sodium percarbonate rinse free steriliser on a demijohn, then transferred cider into it.
And I get a magic colour change from "wee yellow" to "doombar brown" (for want of a colour chart) by what I assume is the power of oxidation

So if your making cider, use a different method of sterilising/sanitising or rinse thoroughly.View attachment 95035
These are from the same batch
I thought Sodium Percarbonate was a CLEANING product. That is how I use it. I use ChemSan no rinse steriliser.

I thought Sodium Percarbonate was a CLEANING product. That is how I use it. I use ChemSan no rinse steriliser.
From Wikipedia
As an oxidizing agent, sodium percarbonate is an ingredient in a number of home and laundry cleaning products, including non-chlorine bleach products such as Oxyper, OxiClean, Tide laundry detergent,[3] and Vanish.[5]

Sodium percarbonate is also used as a cleaning agent in homebrewing.[10]
I think we have our answer. Definitely looks like oxidisation!

And from another site
Mix 1 tablespoon of sodium percarbonate per gallon of hot water. Then, recirculate it, or soak your equipment in the solution for around 30 minutes, or longer for heavily soiled equipment. After soaking, rinse the equipment thoroughly with hot water to remove any remaining solution.

I have seen percarbonate being talked about as no rinse but especially in hard water areas it leaves behind a white sediment. definitely rinse.

Sodium percarbonate for cleaning and and I use (with confidence) starsan or similar phosphoric acid based no rinse sanitizer for sanitisation. As phosphoric acid is used for ph adjustment in brewing liquor there's no need to fear the foam as they say.

I have seen percarbonate being talked about as no rinse but especially in hard water areas it leaves behind a white sediment. definitely rinse.
I get a chalky precipitate with percarbonate, but I also get it with Chemsan (a UK available equivalent of Starsan). I always rinse the percarbonate out, the Chemsan is no rinse though, never had any issues with it as far as I know.

I get a chalky precipitate with percarbonate, but I also get it with Chemsan (a UK available equivalent of Starsan). I always rinse the percarbonate out, the Chemsan is no rinse though, never had any issues with it as far as I know.
I always mix Starsan, Chemsan or similar phosphoric acid sanitizer with Spotless water, it's much cheaper than any bottled water buy. (if it's available close to you). I also use it for all of my lagers !

I always mix Starsan, Chemsan or similar phosphoric acid sanitizer with Spotless water, it's much cheaper than any bottled water buy. (if it's available close to you)
Me too, I tend to get around 40l when I go to Spotless for about £1.60, generally use 20-30l in a brew to dilute my tap water and the rest either to make up a new batch of sanitiser or to use with percarbonate to clean out my G40, then I don't get any chalky deposits.

The other thing I usually do is to mix around 5l of sanitiser directly in the G40 after percarbonate and a rinse and give it all a good rub down, that generally takes off any chalk residue, also use it to flush the counterflow chiller. Then leave it all to air dry before packing all my brew-day stuff back into the malt pipe and wheel it away.

I started using Milton tablets when i began wine making 10+ years ago and have never used anything else, i never rinse and have never had any problems it also only takes 15 minutes to do its thing.

1708777521127.png

Back