Not enough bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zakrabbit

Reaction score
Ive got a 40 pint kit on the go, but have only two dozen 500ml bottles, which leaves me around 10L of brew with no where to put it! For reasons two mundane to go into I cant get any more proper bottles yet, and I dont have a pressure barrel,

So, im thinking of putting the rest into sanitized 2L pop bottles. These of course can handle pressure and I can get plenty of them.

I dont foresee any problems?

Amongst other things I use 2 litre PET bottles that have previously had held 'economy' fizzy (not still) water. About 17p each from Tesco or wherever you shop.
You may need to get a 1 litre serving jug, unless you fancy drinking two litres at a time :whistle:. That's what I use and the beer is OK for a two or three days after initial opening

They will be fine, just make sure you can pour the bottle into a jug to serve so as to not disturb the yeast in the bottle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers for the quick responses.

Good stuff, i'll tell the wife not to throw any away! I drink the cheap diet cola and lemonade from Sainsburys so usually have plenty about.

My plan is to drink these first anyway....

Hi!
Contact your local pubs and clubs - they pay to have their bottles carted away, so they will probably look kindly on a request to take some empties off their hands.

Treat yourself to a box of 24 500ml PET bottles from Wilkos some of mine must have had a dozen brews through them and they're still fine, only problem with 2l bottles is you're kind of committed to emptying them all in one sitting

Treat yourself to a box of 24 500ml PET bottles from Wilkos some of mine must have had a dozen brews through them and they're still fine, only problem with 2l bottles is you're kind of committed to emptying them all in one sitting

Last time I was in the market for Coopers PET bottles, a couple of weeks ago, Wilko had stopped stocking these. Got mine from brewuk.

Take a walk around the neighbourhood on recycling collection day. Bottles should be re-used as bottles, not sruched up for use in road building!

Take a walk around the neighbourhood on recycling collection day. Bottles should be re-used as bottles, not sruched up for use in road building!

Good idea. There's a house down the road which I used to pass when walking the nipper to school, and every single time that grey basket for bottles was overflowing with mainly wine and a few beer bottles. Bet it was a laugh in their drum.

Last time I was in the market for Coopers PET bottles, a couple of weeks ago, Wilko had stopped stocking these. Got mine from brewuk.

My local Wilko stopped selling them in the summer. I managed to snag a box for £5. I don't even think they are on the Wilko website anymore otherwise you could order some and collect from a store.

Back