Peach puree

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,

First fruit beer I'm attempting and I'm going to brew the Greg Hughes Peach IPA. I'm hoping for recommendations on where to get the peach puree. I've tried Tesco and Asda with no luck and I'm a bit hesitant about ordering some of the stuff I've seen on Amazon.

Any help will be much appreciated.
J

Yeah, 200g for 23l at the end of fermentation. I've scaled the recipe down for kegging (19l - 21l fermenter) but keeping the same amount of puree.
Haven't found any review of the recipe to say whether it's low or not so I'll try it like this and can always add more to another brew.
Should I just drop it in and leave it or give the Fermzilla a bit of a shake?

I think it is going to be too low.
I have made Mango IPA a few times and I use Frozen Mango from Aldi in the FV.
I use at least 2.5 Kilo's and more if you want a mega fruity one. All 23ltr batches

I'm not going for mega fruity (I suspect the recipe isn't aiming for that). I did buy 2x200g packs so I think I'll stick with that. I can always give it another go if I think it needs more.
Does it need to be stored, agitated, etc. or just put it in and leave it?

Just store as they say on the packet and make sure it is around fermenting temp when adding.
I would just squish the pouch to mix before adding as is to the wort/beer

I don’t think you’d taste much with 200g to be honest, but I’d be interested to hear if I’m wrong. I did 2.5kg raspberries in a recent batch and it gave a decent flavour.

I don’t think you’d taste much with 200g to be honest, but I’d be interested to hear if I’m wrong. I did 2.5kg raspberries in a recent batch and it gave a decent flavour.
I'm going to put in the 400g I have. Not driving 30 miles again tomorrow 😂
I quadrupled the hops in his NEIPA recipe and it came out excellent. Maybe he prefers it a bit more subtle.

I attempted this recipe and accidentally managed to ferment while trying to kettle sour, so will be trying again with Philly Sour.
I have the Funkin puree linked above for the recipe. The good thing about kegging is it is easy to add more should you wish.
Btw, the rice lager is a cracker - one of the few recipes I have brewed twice, it was that good.

Btw, the rice lager is a cracker - one of the few recipes I have brewed twice, it was that good.
I got a pint of it after transferring yesterday and while it is nice I think I've confirmed that I'm not a fan of Saaz (second time using it now). When it has some time to clear and carb up properly it will definitely be my best lager yet.

I recently did a Mango IPA with 2 litres of Firkin Mango puree for a 23ltr batch and it was...disspapointing. The beer came out well but no real mango ness was coming through, so not sure what I did to suppress the flavour so much.

It's strange. I thought the 200g was a bit low as well but I'm going to assume that GH knows better than me... still going to add 400g though. I'm also trying out AEB New-E yeast. That's meant to give a peach flavour.

It's strange. I thought the 200g was a bit low as well but I'm going to assume that GH knows better than me... still going to add 400g though. I'm also trying out AEB New-E yeast. That's meant to give a peach flavour.
I wouldn’t take my experience as anything. I have no idea why it didn’t turn out the way I imagined. I just think that there is probably more to fruit IPA’s than just chucking in fruit at some point. I didn’t really do much research ahead of the brew. Give it a whirl. That’s part of the fun.

To be fair I’ve had a few commercial fruit IPA’s recently and was disappointed to not pick up much or any hint of the supposed fruit.

A couple of years ago I did a grapefruit IPA that used a few drops of a fruit essence. Thought it turned out nice to be fair but that feels a bit like cheating to me, so why I was keen to try real fruit purée this time.

Depends what you're after I guess. I personally don't want the peach to take over the beer but to compliment it. And experimenting is a great excuse to brew more beer 😜

Michael Tonsmeire recommends 120-360g/l of peaches. Albeit these are whole peaches and for mixed fermentation beer.

Milk The Funk recommends 60-240g/l of puree, again for mixed fermentation beer.

My next brew will be a clean peach saison.

I've ordered 2kg of peach puree and will probably use 1.75kg or 87.5g/l and save the rest for cocktails!

I will report back when it's done to let you all know if it add much flavour.
I'm meant to be dry hopping 50g each of citra and simcoe tonight but I was thinking about 25g of each tonight and another 25g of each when I'm adding the puree to try to build a bit more depth in the flavour.
First time using puree (or fruit) so I don't know if this might mess things up.

So I transferred my beer and I think it's come out pretty nice. The peach is more of a background note and while I wasn't looking for it to dominate it think I'll double the amount of puree next time. It'll be interesting to see how it is in a week when it's properly gassed up. Citra and peach seems to be a great combo.

Latest posts

Back