Rowan Wine Anyone?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeithR

Landlord.
Reaction score
I've wonders occasionally why I haven't seen much discussion about Rowan wine on here, its used extensively on the continent, in Poland for flavouring Vodka etc. I've not tried winemaking with them before, has anybody? Here's an interesting article from the Grunaud which might help improve the berries profile.

@oldbloke,
I used to think they were toxic as well until I went to Poland and found Rowen flavoured Voddy. I think they are pretty astringent tho.

Actually elderberries are mildly toxic if consumed in large quantities. There is a recipe for rowanberry wine in 'First Steps', which includes a pound of raisins, 8 ounces of wheat a whole tablespoon of citric acid and the usual excessive 3 pounds of sugar. Never tried it, but the only review I found wasn't encouraging. Apparently hawthorn is a good ingredient, likewise firethorn, of which I have masses in my garden, but it is more medicinal than pleasant, it seems.

They have parasorbic acid which is bad for the kidneys but cooking them sorts it, according to Wiki. So I guess you just need to bring them to the boil and it'd be fine.

I'm thinking of doing one too in the next couple of weeks. Is it possible you could put the recipe on here. Would you have to just cook the berries? Or put in a fermenter for a week odd with the usual chemicals? I have never made a wine from scratch. Will be a first go for me.
Cheers. Good luck with it. :)

I've considered this too, but decided not to bother on the grounds that it would probably taste minging...

SAS survival guide list Rowan berrys as a food source. They are disgusting though, we tried making Rowan jelly on a survival weekend many years ago. Horrible. The commercial stuff in jars is ok as it has loads of sugar to balance out the astringency.

That said, Leith, if you go ahead, I wouldn't mind a wee taster sometime? Just out of curiosity...

DirtyC

I have a bag full of Rowan berries in the garage, but since picking them I have heard that they make a very dry sherry like wine, so hmmm, not sure I'm going to go to the effort, could be useful for blending but I'm just starting out so want to get a stock of decent wines first before I experiment too much

I've spotted a good deal of Rowan near by, will be foraging when I next get the chance, will post how it goes. :thumb:

Back