Saaz for bittering?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottM

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was reading up some background info on a beer and it states that Saaz and Perle hop varieties are used, firstly for bitterness, then late-hopped for aroma.

The way it's said I presumed that Saaz was being used for the bitterness but surely it would take FAR too much saaz to bitter a brew? The perle seems reasonable for bittering, so I was wondering if it was more likely to be Perle for bittering, perle & saaz for flavour and then possibly saaz for aroma? Has anyone used saaz for bittering?

Cheers

I would guess it's pearl for bittering and saaz for aroma. Although I have had a nice pilsner from Zwettle that uses pearl for aroma. I'm sure saaz would work for bittering, just a waste of low alpha aroma hop when any high alpha bittering hop would do. T

Saaz can be used for bittering alright, that's what is used for a Czech Pilsner and this is what I use when I brew this beer, and for 23L; 90mins 25 IBU, 30mins 10 IBU, 10mins 4 IBU, 30g steep at 80C. Depending on the alpha it may be more hops than you are used to but don't forget, if in doubt add more hops :lol:

You can do the same with Perle as well, although I've never used them. SNPA has a 30min addition of Perle to 7 IBU.

abeyptfc said:
I think its used for bittering and aroma for alot of lagers and pilsners, don't know about ales though.

Yeah it's for Grolsch, so definitely fits that mould.

Asalpaws said:
I would guess it's pearl for bittering and saaz for aroma. Although I have had a nice pilsner from Zwettle that uses pearl for aroma. I'm sure saaz would work for bittering, just a waste of low alpha aroma hop when any high alpha bittering hop would do. T

This is my thinking in it too. I didn't think it made any difference what you used to bitter, as long as you had the correct hops for flavour and aroma. I know that perle is definitely the finishing hop though, I'm guessing it's just additionally used for the bittering at the start. Saaz sounds like the right hop to throw into the mix but I had a citrus flavour, thanks to the saaz, that I don't notice with Grolsch. I'm not arguing though as the pint is absolutely stunning, it would just be nice to nail down the hops as I believe I have the base almost spot on :D

Good Ed said:
Saaz can be used for bittering alright, that's what is used for a Czech Pilsner and this is what I use when I brew this beer, and for 23L; 90mins 25 IBU, 30mins 10 IBU, 10mins 4 IBU, 30g steep at 80C. Depending on the alpha it may be more hops than you are used to but don't forget, if in doubt add more hops :lol:

You can do the same with Perle as well, although I've never used them. SNPA has a 30min addition of Perle to 7 IBU.

That must take a whoooooole lotta saaz lol. The saaz I have is 3-5AA :D

Mr Sladek in Plzensky Prazdroj brewery told us on a tour they hop to schedule FWH - 60' - 30' with Saaz only to 33 IBU. No exact proportion, of course. ;)

Did he mention finishing with Perle? That's what it says on the official Grolsch site :hmm:

It was Pilsner Urquell we was talking about. I guess Mr Berka would dismiss my question, he's rather narrow minded towards PU. ;)

zgoda said:
It was Pilsner Urquell we was talking about. I guess Mr Berka would dismiss my question, he's rather narrow minded towards PU. ;)

Ahh, I thought you were helping out with Grolsch lol. Didn't realise you were just answering the saaz for bittering bit :)

Mark1964 said:
you could add some early magnum which has high bittering qualities then use perle mid boil and saaz for that nice aroma at flame out

Yeah, this is the sort of thing I'm wondering... if it actually makes any difference. At the moment I'm using northern brewer, which is reasonably high for bittering. Don't want to waste hops for nothing :)

magnum early on then hallertau and perle mid boil with a 20 min gap then the saaz is the recipe i used to use for german kolsch lager. Used white labs german kolsch yeast turned out great every time.

it's certainly not economic, but i've brewed a smash with Saaz before. it was delish! it takes a lot, but well worth it, wonderful hop profile :thumb:

I do wonder how much 20 - 30 min hop additions add. Not fully exploiting the bittering or flavour/aroma side of things.

Certainly seems to be a trend in the US with IPAs to add a bittering start of boil addition and wang everything else in at the end of the boil for a long hop steep? Might be a more economical way of using your Saaz, 50 g at each end of the boil! T

Saaz really has to be boiled for at least 5 mins to release its flavour. When stepped it is more grassy, less spicy. Same for dry hopping.

Back