Saison - no airlock activity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purewhitesnow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Would like to get some thoughts on this please.
Am brewing a Mangrove Jacks Belgian Saison kit and I am 60 hours since pitching the yeast, just a bit concerned as there is no airlock activity.
I was under the impression that with a Saison you tend to get a lot of activity in the first few days but it all seems a bit quiet.
There is some krausen and air bubbles on the underside of the lid so am not overly worried but this is the first time I have done a brew and not seen any airlock activity within the first 48 hours.
The only difference this time is I re-hydrated the yeast in 250 ml water (23C temp) for 30 mins before pitching - could this be the reason?
All seems fine with the FV - I have checked the seal and it all seems nice and tight. Temp in the FV has been a constant 23C since Sunday night.
Am thinking maybe just leave it for about a week and then take a hydrometer reading?
Any thoughts/advice would be welcome
Cheers

Is the seal on the Fermenter air tight..one of my buckets has a poor seal and the air lock never shows activity. If you have Krausen I'm sure all is fine.

Sorry just seen your comment about the seal..all the same my bucket that I mentioned seems right but still seems to leak.

I have had this plenty of times before sometimes they just do not keep it air tight.. if it has a Krausen like dave says its going so leave it and check it in a week..

Yeah..leaky lid probably. I got 4 fv buckets and only one seals properly evert time. The others I can get to seal if I carefully go round the lid making sure it's all snapped into place.

Had the same issue with my Festival Belgian dubbel. No airlock activity. Pushed hard on the lid progressively all the way round until I heard the click. They can be very tight to get on and off. Within an hour of snapping the lid on properly the airlock was going nuts!

Latest posts

Back