Sauvignon Blanc WOW query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gb0wers

Reaction score
I'm going to have a go at the @Wino12 recipe for Sauvignon Blanc that is at Sauvignon Blanc ish

I've got all of the ingredients bar the passion fruit, including GV9 yeast. So I have a few days to find some.

I see it uses inverted sugar, something I've not tried yet, however I do have citric acid.

Two questions please:

1) I'm curious. What would be the likely effect of using sugar that has not been inverted?

2) I see the suggestion of adding lemon zest. At what stage would that be recommended?

I'm curious. What would be the likely effect of using sugar that has not been inverted?

I use Tate & Lyles finest in all my wines and they have all been fine.

I don't see any mention of inverted sugar.

You might find getting hold of white grape juice near impossible.

Without doubt my favourite white is Marlborough Sav Blanc. The best I have tasted comes it at around £12.99 a bottle :shock:

I have been fiddling around for yonks trying to replicate it, and this is the closest I have got to to it yet:

1 ltr WGJ
1ltr Pineapple - not from concentrate
1 ltr apple juice
700g sugar
pectolase
cup of strong tea
juice of 1 lemon
nutrient
GV9 Champagne Yeast
Juice (no pips) of 3 passion fruits

Put in apple juice, WGJ, inverted sugar and half the pinapple juice. top to just below the shoulder. All the usual suspects. When the initial ferment has calmed down add the remaining pineapple juice and top up as far as you dare. After another 2 days add the juice of the passion fruits, top to the neck and ferment out completely. This only took 12 days start to finish. Is bloody lovely even though only 1 week old. This wine can only get better :drunk:

I use Tate & Lyles finest in all my wines and they have all been fine.

I don't see any mention of inverted sugar.

You might find getting hold of white grape juice near impossible.

Without doubt my favourite white is Marlborough Sav Blanc. The best I have tasted comes it at around £12.99 a bottle :shock:

I have been fiddling around for yonks trying to replicate it, and this is the closest I have got to to it yet:

1 ltr WGJ
1ltr Pineapple - not from concentrate
1 ltr apple juice
700g sugar
pectolase
cup of strong tea
juice of 1 lemon
nutrient
GV9 Champagne Yeast
Juice (no pips) of 3 passion fruits

Put in apple juice, WGJ, inverted sugar and half the pinapple juice. top to just below the shoulder. All the usual suspects. When the initial ferment has calmed down add the remaining pineapple juice and top up as far as you dare. After another 2 days add the juice of the passion fruits, top to the neck and ferment out completely. This only took 12 days start to finish. Is bloody lovely even though only 1 week old. This wine can only get better :drunk:
Thanks for replying Chippy
1. I'll just use T&L granulated as usual.
2. I have Ritchies white grape concentrate as I concur, white supermarket grape juice is impossible to find. I need to work out how much concentrate to use and I'll base that assessment on aiming for a 1060 gravity for a diluted litre as 1060 is the gravity of the red grape juice I've been using. Final check will be the gravity of the finished liquid, aiming for 1090.
3. Reference to inverted emboldened by me above.

If I did this in a bucket (with sultanas instead of WGJ), and strained it after a week, would it matter if it had passion fruit pips in?

Latest posts

Back