Secret Santa Reviews 2022

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it's past the new year and I think my beers will have both been consumed, I thought it worth adding that my beers were sent to @Moe and @Griff097 , which tbh I doubt is a surprise to anyone given that they were in cans. The light and smooth lager was my CoreF-A and the Darke and Strong was this year's Wassail recipe. The lager was a split batch with two different lagers, with the A version being my preferred and was the one that came 3rd in the November lager tasting. The Wassail is ok, I think previous year's have been better and my apologies it doesn't have the rich dried fruit flavours of previously, to my palate it tastes disconcertingly like full sugar Coke. I'm glad the beers arrived safe, and thank you lots for your kind comments about the way the cans were presented and beers tasted x.

Finally got to drink my secret Santa beers last night.

Apologies to the Santa’s for my tasting inexperience and untrained palette but I’ll be as honest as I can.

57B54FE8-322B-493F-9A75-9CCC2D021855.jpeg
First bottle was a Witbier. Not something I’ve ever tried before so didn’t really know what to expect. I had tried Hoegaarden before but didn’t really like it so wasn’t expecting to like this much either. But, it was really surprised how much I liked this. It was more golden than I expected with a really nice Orange spice flavour to it. It reminded me quite a lot of a Saison although not sure if they are supposed to be similar. Regardless, it went down really nicely. Thanks Santa.

084770E6-B90F-468C-AC5E-9CF9F477D163.jpeg

My second secret Santa was a 4.4% Pilsner which arrived accompanied by a bonus beer labelled only as 5.9%. I completely forgot to take photos of these after pouring so I’ve added the ones I took when they arrived.

The Pilsner was poured first and was perfectly clear with a small head that disappeared pretty quickly. Carbonation perfect for me and a flavour I would expect from a quality lager. Would happily drink this all day on a sunny day in the garden.

I then moved on to the bonus beer. I was expecting something darker at 5.9% for some strange reason but it actually poured a lovely golden colour which was quite unexpected. Now, as I said previously, my palette isn’t the best but, without being able to put my finger on what I’m smelling or tasting exactly, the aroma and flavour from this just reminded of Christmas. This really did go down a lot quicker than it should have because I kept, intriguingly, going back for another sip. 🙌

I’m absolutely chuffed with the beers I’ve received this year and really enjoyed all of them. Huge thanks to the secret Santas that sent them and to @Alastair70 for organising. 👏👌🍻

I enjoyed this American Pale Ale. Nicely carbonated with a decent head. Bitter hops predominated and it was clean and crisp.
Thank you!
This was mine and was a bit of an experiment actually (sorry to have tried it out on you). It was made using my usual grist and yeast for an APA but this beer was the first I made using 100% home grown Centennial hops. I had to guess the AA but considering I went in blind and had no idea how good the hops were I was pleasantly pleased with how it turned out 🍻

My second Secret Santa beer: an Extra Strong Bitter.

Another great beer. Perfect bitterness with a nice malty chewiness and good mouthfeel. It's a substantial beer but there's no high alcohol harshness. A very enjoyable beer - I drank it far too quickly. Thanks Santa!

View attachment 79777

This was from me 🍻

I made this beer in June 2021 in an attempt to recreate something like Fullers do with their Vintage Ales on the basis that it would get better as it matures. This particular beer was actually entered into the Extra Strong Bitter category in the 2022 Scottish Craft Brewers competition and I'm proud to say it got an Honourable Mention when it was judged back in January. Glad you liked it 🍻

Excellent swaps again. Thanks @alasfor arranging. Not even the postal issues could ruin it.

My beers have been reviewed @Stu's Brews and @Benfleet Brewery being the victims.

The pilsner was the main swap beer. I usually tinker a recipe, this version was made with Hana malt. I usually aim for a German style pilsner, although this had a bit too much hops compared to normal, I didn't want to get the left overs so they went in. I am happy with how its turned out and very sessionable.

Interesting comments in the bonus beer, both going down similar lines but not correct. It's my rosemary and simcoe ipa. It's been in the keg a fair while now so the rosemary as become the dominant flavour, with the hops fading.

Glad you both enjoyed.

Excellent swaps again. Thanks @alasfor arranging. Not even the postal issues could ruin it.

My beers have been reviewed @Stu's Brews and @Benfleet Brewery being the victims.

The pilsner was the main swap beer. I usually tinker a recipe, this version was made with Hana malt. I usually aim for a German style pilsner, although this had a bit too much hops compared to normal, I didn't want to get the left overs so they went in. I am happy with how its turned out and very sessionable.

Interesting comments in the bonus beer, both going down similar lines but not correct. It's my rosemary and simcoe ipa. It's been in the keg a fair while now so the rosemary as become the dominant flavour, with the hops fading.

Glad you both enjoyed.
I don't think I'd have guessed rosemary in a million years! Could have sworn blind there was ginger in it so very interesting how all the flavours combine. It's a very well brewed beer though that demonstrates some very strong brewing skills. I'd very happily drink more of it! athumb..

I don't think I'd have guessed rosemary in a million years! Could have sworn blind there was ginger in it so very interesting how all the flavours combine. It's a very well brewed beer though that demonstrates some very strong brewing skills. I'd very happily drink more of it! athumb..
I guess that's the mind playing tricks. If I had said rosemary on the label you would have picked it out straight away.

Glad you both enjoyed.
Both very well made beers, that was clear. Like you, I add far too many hops to my lagers. I don’t often drink them but mainly have one on tap as an option for when friends are around. That said, I want it to have some flavour so I can drink them too.

I would never have got Rosemary from the bonus one either. That said, I did think some sort of spice which is why I thought it was Christmassy but assumed that would have been from a Belgian yeast. Shows how much I know. 🙄

I opened my second bottle, a Sloe Stout last night. Although I'd been warned
it might be a gusher I of course forgot and ended up spraying it all over the kitchen, then hastily tried to clear up the mess while my wife was out like the old yellow pages advert.
I did get a taste from last of the bottle, rich dark treacle and roast coffee flavours with bitterness from Sloes to balance the sweetness of the malt.
Thanks anyway, despite the over carbonation a decent Stout I would happily drink again.

I opened my second bottle, a Sloe Stout last night. Although I'd been warned
it might be a gusher I of course forgot and ended up spraying it all over the kitchen, then hastily tried to clear up the mess while my wife was out like the old yellow pages advert.
I did get a taste from last of the bottle, rich dark treacle and roast coffee flavours with bitterness from Sloes to balance the sweetness of the malt.
Thanks anyway, despite the over carbonation a decent Stout I would happily drink again.

Sorry about that @Tanglefoot - the Sloe Stout was mine. I'll send you something as a replacement as I need to post some other beers off to people anyway.

It seems that batch had some quite inconsistent carbonation levels. I tested one before sending it and it was fine, @Mash Monster also seemed to get a good one.

It's actually the exact same beer as I sent out last year, albeit aged for 12 months. To my taste aging it has allowed the sloe flavours to round out really nicely as they do have a sharp tartness to them initially. I fear the aging may have contributed to the carbonation issues though as there was no sign of trouble previously.

The recipe is here if you are interested to know more.

Sorry about that @Tanglefoot - the Sloe Stout was mine. I'll send you something as a replacement as I need to post some other beers off to people anyway.

It seems that batch had some quite inconsistent carbonation levels. I tested one before sending it and it was fine, @Mash Monster also seemed to get a good one.

It's actually the exact same beer as I sent out last year, albeit aged for 12 months. To my taste aging it has allowed the sloe flavours to round out really nicely as they do have a sharp tartness to them initially. I fear the aging may have contributed to the carbonation issues though as there was no sign of trouble previously.

The recipe is here if you are interested to know more.
No worries Stu, I could tell it was a well made beer. I find bottling the weak point in my whole process, I really enjoy the brewing side but find the packaging more hard work.
Now I tend to keg everything and just bottle what's left.
I've just ordered a bottle gun from BKT to bottle straight from the keg under pressure, would be up for a swap once I've got the hang of it !

This was mine and was a bit of an experiment actually (sorry to have tried it out on you). It was made using my usual grist and yeast for an APA but this beer was the first I made using 100% home grown Centennial hops. I had to guess the AA but considering I went in blind and had no idea how good the hops were I was pleasantly pleased with how it turned out 🍻
Bonus points for home grown hops!

My second SS is a 5% Belgian Pale.

20230102_194833.jpg

I'm not familiar with the style, so i was expecting something like a Leffe Blond or a Belgian Tripel.

Small pffft on opening and a nice head. Poured perfectly clear with no sediment so I assume bottled from keg.

My first sniff... I thought this was reminiscent of a Kolsch. Clean-ish with a bit if a hint of lemon?

Not sure if that is quite right.... as I've said before, my tasting vocab isn't up to everyone else's.

To me, it doesn't have the traditional Belgian clove / banana / bubblegum aromas. As I said, not familiar with the style so not entirely sure how it should smell.

Taste wise, clean and refreshing. Definite hop flavour, again, lemon or citrus. I'm not an IPA drinker, but this seems a bit IPA-esque. Probably the hops.

Nothing wrong with this brew in the slightest. Its a very nice drink, but I have nothing to compare it to so not sure what it should taste like.

Thank you for sharing.

Looks like both my beers have been tasted so I @Oneflewover and @UKSkydiver you both had my Belgian pale

Thanks for the comments. @UKSkydiver your comments were similar to how I would describe the intended outcome.
One of my favourite beers is Taras Boulba by De la Senne. They call it a Hoppy Belgian Pale and I have been trying to get a beer similar in taste.
It was brewed with 50/50 t-58 and German ale yeast to try and lower the Belgian character. Recipe below .
https://share.brewfather.app/kxWvywrZP8iaJ4

This is my second ss and very generously received 2 bottles, so this is the ace of spades porter
A pleasant hiss on opening, and a rather vigorous pour resulted in a large creamy head
The beer was very clear and showed glints of ruby red when held to the light, presume this was bottled from a keg?
First taste was a hit of bitter chocolate followed by coffee and toffee.
A beautiful creamy mouth feel made you want to keep coming back for more
A lot of porters I have experienced seem to be rather thin in body,but this was superb
Carbonation was spot on and a lovely smooth flavoursome
Experience
I would gladly pay for this in a pub so credit to the brewer and thanks for sending

Also looking forward to the recipe if you're up for sharing 😊

My other bonus bottle the Jaipur clone will be reviewed on Friday

Attachments

• IMG_20230103_201123934.jpg
    IMG_20230103_201123934.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry with the delay, I've been working. 1st ss was a citrus pale ale, small psst on opening, poured easily with very little head. Not totally clear but that doesn't bother me at all. Very nice citrussy taste and very similar to a beer I buy from waitrose. Can't remember the name but it has a green label. Very moreish, loved it thank you santa.

Attachments

• 20230103_000857.jpg
    20230103_000857.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 0
2nd ss was son of a nutcracker red ipa. Small psst on opening, poured nicely with a small head, perfectly carbonated and very clear and great colour. Now I think this is my first ever red ipa and I have to say it was the dogs b@!!@£%s, I would drink this all night long if it wasn't 6.1% as that would make it a short night. My palate may not be as refined as others on here but it had just about everything I love in a beer, fruit, spice, malty toffee(maybe) and perfect mouthfeel. I get the feeling the person that made this has either been doing it for a very long lime or they are very very particular in their process, or even a professional brewer. I would buy this if I saw it on the shelves. Probably the best beer I have ever tasted. I would love to know if it could be made at about 5% without losing anything. Thank you santa

Attachments

• 20230103_003452.jpg
    20230103_003452.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 0
Back