Shaving

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

markp

Landlord.
Reaction score
Are there any guys here using double edged safety razors or straights??

My skin is quite sensitive to shaving and I get quite a few ingrowers as well.
After doing a lot of reading on some shave forums and in a bid to rid myself of these troublesome irks and generally make shaving a bit more of a pleasure than a chore, I'm going 'old school style' shaving....I've ordered a modern Merkur safety razor (Christmas gift) and also a 1950's Gillette Flair Tip.
I've also ordered a good shaving brush, a bowl and some decent soap as well.

I don't really know what to expect, but I am really looking forward to trying it all out.
I have to say though after reading a few shaving forums, a little practice seems to be needed and I will probably end up with a few nicks here and there (ordered a styptic pencil too :lol: )

Hopefully I can wave goodbye to those overpriced cartridges.

Anyone else use these types of razor?
How do you find them compared to the cartridges?
Finally, any tips for me would be appreciated :D

I'm sensitive too :lol:

Best thing I found that works for me is shaving in the shower. Getting the skin pores open and leaving the soap on for a few min. Also shaving with the growth not against it.
If you ever get chance to have a proper barber shop shave, its an education

Sean_Mc said:
I'm sensitive too :lol:

Best thing I found that works for me is shaving in the shower. Getting the skin pores open and leaving the soap on for a few min. Also shaving with the growth not against it.
If you ever get chance to have a proper barber shop shave, its an education

Yeah.....I've been reading about getting the hair hydrated and going with the grain. The information available on the forum I joined is immense.....US based, but very friendly and helpful.

On the proper barber shop shave.....been wanting to do this for ages. I've got my name down for Olympic tickets and if I manage to get any, I'm going to book a shave at Trumpers in London as a treat for me and my brother :D

I moved to this method of shaving around 2 yrs ago and I will never go back. I suffered with really bad shaving rash now I get none, and no pain at all from shaivng.

I use a straight edge for when I have a few days growth and a 1960 gillette, both with a derby blade. Get a good brush. Soap is much faster than cream, but cream is nice when you have plenty of time. :thumb:

The importance of lathering up well and not trying to take too much off cannot be stressed enough. Many people think that "old style" safety razors don't cut properly, but half the story is preparing your face / hair to take the shave. Don't press, hold the razor lightly, there are some vids on youtube from a chap called mantic59: http://www.youtube.com/user/mantic59

Initially you may only want to make one pass as your skin adjusts.

ano, the guys on the shaving forum recommend matic's videos. I will certainly watch those before I start :D

I believe a sharpening stone is used to hone the blade of a straight.
It is then stropped to smoothen it out.....the strops are made of leather I think :wha:

I use a a cheap straight edge razor that takes blades. It not great but I cant afford a real one. Its big money for the razor alone and they take to much looking after for me. Would love one tho :pray: .

Remember is beard reduction not beard elimination! ;)

I switched to a safety razor about a year ago, and I'm loving it. I just have a cheap-o from boots, but I pinched my dad's old soap and bought myself a nice brush online :D

Def. works a treat and no more irritation from shaving!

How does this all work on, ahem! non facial areas?

Like the balls?

Wez said:
How does this all work on, ahem! non facial areas?

Like the balls?

do u shave you balls? should i shave my balls? how do you shave your balls? :D appparently if you shave the old pubes your dobber looks alot bigger

Yeah no chance. Personal trimmers are available for the task. At the first instance you want to remove the longer hair with something akin to a beard trimmer. Something like the Philips Norelco is the sort of thing you're looking for to take it down to a stubble, beyond that you're looking at things which appear to be nose hair trimmers or the Cleancut ES412.

Im gunna ignore the above comments and say anyone one else use an electric razor?
I know, no style or class but it gets the job done

I have quite sensitive skin, and wanted to try an electric shaver last year. I got an expensive one for christmas. When I read the instructions it said to give your face 21 days to adjust to the new shaver. Well, I gave it over a month but it was still destroying my skin, causing rashes, spots and ingrown hair.

I took it back to argos as not fit for purpose - it said suitable for all skin types. They accepted it straight away, although I was secretly hoping they would question it as I was ready for an argument.

I had the same skin issues as some of you guys... ingrown hairs, red bumps... and that was with full prep.

I switched to a straight (cut throat) razor about 4 months ago.
Wont be going back to any other form. It is the closest shave you will ever have - with the bonus of no nasty affects.

Yes big initial outlay (£120-150) - but it is worth it (after the scars heal from the first couple of shaves anyway).

I bought a starter kit from here - he is recommended by many.

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/starterkits.html

(well a Dovo razor and kit 2)

The chap has great reviews.

but you can see they also do their own brand razors with the kit for less.

.... also look here for the answers to any questions....

http://www.straightrazorplace.com/

DONT buy something second hand off of ebay - honing a razor takes some talent / practice. Last week i bought one (manufactured c. 1870) that was allegedly shave ready and i need to send it off to be sharpened professioinally as whilst it does shave, it is no where near as close as the new one i bought from the link above)

DONT buy a new £10 one off of ebay - they are apparently shi* and you will be put off by the experience.

Latest posts

Back