Shaving

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that movember thing two years ago - decided I liked not shaving so much, I bought the company.
(stopped shaving completely and now have a beard). I can't recommend it enough - throw those razors away!
:D

I hate shaving but so far haven't gotten round to growing a beard either. Itchy business, that. Have to stick to razors since my mug doesn't agree with shaving machines. Argh.

Some more of my shaving stuff arrived today....looks and smells great :D
Just waiting on my brush now.....pity I have to wait until Christmas to get my mitts on it.

I may well get a straight razor eventually.....will definately get a quality one (and a new one too!)

ATB

You just have to REALLY trust the girl who's doing it ;)

Mark thanks for starting this thread :D
I started shaving with a double safety razor, then moved onto disposables, then electric then the multiblade cartridges.
I have been suffering with in growers for a while too :( so after reading this thread and doing a bit more research I thought I'd give the safety razor another go.
I've always used a shaving brush and soap so today I bought a cheap Wilkinson Sword safety razor from Boots and gave it a go.
The result?
Wow :party:
The closest shave I or Mrs TS can remember me having and it can only get better with a bit more practice :D

I have tried many incarnations or razor, & my fave is my current Quattro Titanium professional razor with the little battery operated clippers on the end.

Turn it on a wet shave, gets a closer than anything I have tried before, (Electric razors suck I bought a braun one and it did not last long) the bonus with the quattro Is I can trim the eyebrows very easily with the clipper end :thumb: & I don't have to have anyone else messing about with em at the hairdressers.

UP

Nice to have you back on board tubby :thumb:
I read on the shaving forum that it can take up to a month for your face to get used to a DE Safety razor and about the same time to become profficient in the shaving technique.

I've also been pleased (and surprised) to find some very old and long established companies that still offer traditional shaving stuff.

Still waiting for my badger brush :(

Tony said:
(stopped shaving completely and now have a beard). I can't recommend it enough - throw those razors away!
:D

Me too - last Christmas day was my last full shave - I couldn't be bothered any more and SWMBO said she liked it so it stayed. The liberation of not having to get up and shave every day is sooooooo nice. I bought a beard trimmer so I don't end up looking like a sasquatch but only get that out every couple of weeks.

gurtpint said:
Itchy business

The itchy stage only lasts a few days while you are getting it past a certain length then it's fine.

This is very interesting! So, how would one of these safety razors compare to say a Gillette Mach 3? Incedentally, has anyone tried Lush's shaving cream? Jolly good stuff that is!

Ceejay said:
This is very interesting! So, how would one of these safety razors compare to say a Gillette Mach 3? Incedentally, has anyone tried Lush's shaving cream? Jolly good stuff that is!
I was shaving with a Fusion and I can honestly say that 24 hours after shaving with my safety razor my face is as smooth as 20 minutes after shaving with the Fusion. You do have to take more time over the shave but it's worth it :thumb:

I see :hmm: . As a man who can only be ar5ed to shave twice a week, I think this might be right up my street. I can't believe I've never looked into it before. And to think, if I hadn't decided to step into the world of home-brewing I would never have known that (that's what I'm telling SWMBO anyway!) :drink: :whistle:

You can download a free shaving guide at this website as well. Some very nice stuff for sale on there :thumb:

I grew up watching my dad wet shave every day & took up wet shaving myself 38 years ago.I have tried modern cartridge razors but they are only good for a max of 2 uses with my type of growth (heavy).I continue to this day to wet shave and can honestly say i have never had any ingrowers.In my honest opinion it takes no longer to wet shave when experienced and matched with the right kit.
The feeling after a good water shave with a good DE Safety Razor is unmatched by any electric or cartridge razor (in my view ).
From a Happy Shaver who loves a Wet One :oops: ;)

Being a cheapskate, I recently bought a boots razor.

Shaved on sunday, very close indeed. couple of very minor nicks due to not being familiar with it.

Shaved again on wednesday (today) and I reckon its close enough to last me the whole week.

Jobs good!

My new shiny Merkur HD has arrived, plus I got some shaving cream, a bowl aftershave and very sharp razor blades :-D
2010-12-24163406.jpg

Looks good tubby, let me know how you find the HD....they get a lot of talk on the shave forums.
I'll post my kit up once I've opened it all up tomorrow.

Latest posts

Back