Shepheard Neame 1698 Yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Faith worked..! Going like the clappers now with a definite yeast layer at the bottom. I shake it 3 or 4 times a day and just ease the bottle top to let out the pppsssttt.. It smells really good - reminds me of chocolate biscuits

Faith worked..! Going like the clappers now with a definite yeast layer at the bottom. I shake it 3 or 4 times a day and just ease the bottle top to let out the pppsssttt.. It smells really good - reminds me of chocolate biscuits
So, Marlon, when you've collected enough for a brew what are you going to use it on?

So, Marlon, when you've collected enough for a brew what are you going to use it on?

I bought 2 Werry kits from Wilco's when they were on offer, I'm using the yeast for one of them. Then I was planning to try saving some of thub for the other kit. Would that work d'you think?

I bought 2 Werry kits from Wilco's when they were on offer, I'm using the yeast for one of them. Then I was planning to try saving some of thub for the other kit. Would that work d'you think?
You might find this yeast compliments a Wherry really well. It should produce a much better result compared to the kit yeast. :thumb:

Sorry. Thats my cack grammer. I meant I've just put the dregs in a bottle of 1698 to culture it up. You'll be fine re-using the trub for your next brew

D'you know what, - it's more like my cack reading..! I just re-read yours and it make sence this morning. One too many swift halfs last night. :-?

Like any ale yeast you should be aiming for about 18C-20C and a max of about 22C else you can get off flavours

I've got a 'sweet spot' in the kitchen, away from mrs. M's cooker, that usually stays 18-21 24/7. So I put my FV in a cardboard box and wrapped in an old blanket. High summer is the only time it gets too hot - just now in fact. So I'm hoping to start fermenting early September, temperature permitting

You might find this yeast compliments a Wherry really well. It should produce a much better result compared to the kit yeast. :thumb:

That's what I was hoping. Early yeast sniffs are encouraging. I'm getting definite biscuit, chocolate & caramel hints. - more choc-chip cookies than chocolate digestives I'd say. :)

I've got to the stage of having 2 x 1litre bottles on the go. It's looking good so far. Should have enough to use by September. When I harvest the trub from the first brew, can I store the rest somehow? Freeze it maybe? What do you lads do?

DONT FREEZE IT! The ice crysals will burst the cell wall of the yeast cells and kill your yeast.

Just stick it in the fridge. When it comes to using it just pour off the spent starter wort and add two more L of new starter to refresh the cells and grow new ones to replace any that have died off

DONT FREEZE IT! The ice crysals will burst the cell wall of the yeast cells and kill your yeast.

Just stick it in the fridge. When it comes to using it just pour off the spent starter wort and add two more L of new starter to refresh the cells and grow new ones to replace any that have died off

Got it..! Thanks Myqul. :thumb:

Pitched mine last night...and this morning...:grin:

2016-08-30 07.48.06.jpg

I am going to try this on an oatmeal stout.
Don't ask me why but I thought the fruitier side of this beer even though it attentuated quite high I think would maybe suit a stout..

Back