stc 1000 probes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
miker7301 said:
I hadn't looked at the prices TBH, are the stainless thermowell's also overpriced?

I was looking for some, but prices are hard to find on t'interwebs, most places only quote on big orders...

Cheers,
Mike

Hmmm - not sure actually - they didn't look too bad but I am out of date on thermowell prices :roll:

They do make cable glands in stainless too, so as long as you used a rigid probe and wanted it in a fixed location that would fit the bill.
If you want to be able to to remove the probe consider a bayonet fitting/thermowell combo

ScottM said:
miker7301 said:
Mine has type K, but that may not be true of all STC-1000's....

I think I'll keep my eye out for a type-k version then, I can get them through work... stainless and long too :D

I wouldn't if I were you, Scott, I was incorrectly mine is NTC, not type K as I originally said.
Sorry for the mis-information.

eskimobob said:
Yes, they use NTC thermistors. They will not work with Thermocouples or RTDs :nono:

Hmm, I'll have a nosey around work and see what's been filed under B to see if I can get anything that will do the job :D

3/8" SS tube from bes.co.uk is a snug fit for atc800 probes which i think are similar to the stc 1000 jobbies its available in 3m lengths.
Taking it one step further, you can buy NTC sensors on ebay for a few pence, you can also buy stainless chop sticks for a few pounds for several, add the 2 together and you can make your own probes for about £2 :geek: The advantage of chop sitcks over tube is that the end is already sealed...been there...a long time ago :lol:

Vossy, Now that is true lateral thinking:eek:) I need to make this stuff for my up and coming 15 gallon brewery.....good shout.

I am new here, so will post in the new arrivals section to introduce myself, and the madness that is my peristalticaly driven brewery.......

Rog, Sutton Coldfield, U.K.

silver brewer said:
Vossy, Now that is true lateral thinking:eek:) I need to make this stuff for my up and coming 15 gallon brewery.....good shout.

I am new here, so will post in the new arrivals section to introduce myself, and the madness that is my peristalticaly driven brewery.......

Rog, Sutton Coldfield, U.K.

Hi Rog - interested to see the peristaltic pump :thumb:

Eskimobob.....

Sorry about going off topic, but you can see a rough and ready video of one of the pumps on YouTube under "mk3 peristaltic pump tests"

All three pumps are now up and running and are mounted above the brewery on a stainless panel. They are now painted, and even have a bespoke brass oil bath to keep the chain drive in good nick. They are so robust that they will out last me, but that's not hard cos i'm in the "old fart" category now...
The development phases of the pumps are on homebrewtalk, under home made peristaltic pumps, in the DIY section, but I fully intend to lock on to this forum as it is the right side of the pond. Decent video of the pump array and other stuff will be posted soon.....

Vossy1 said:
3/8" SS tube from bes.co.uk is a snug fit for atc800 probes which i think are similar to the stc 1000 jobbies its available in 3m lengths.
Taking it one step further, you can buy NTC sensors on ebay for a few pence, you can also buy stainless chop sticks for a few pounds for several, add the 2 together and you can make your own probes for about £2 :geek: The advantage of chop sitcks over tube is that the end is already sealed...been there...a long time ago :lol:
old thread I know, but are these probes OK to fit directly onto the stc1000 ?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5Pcs-NTC-10k- ... 1206wt_724
my probe is OK at the moment, but I know in time I am going to break it, so looking for a replacement/spare probe, and these are stainless on the end which is a plus.

cheers

One eye said:
my probe is OK at the moment, but I know in time I am going to break it, so looking for a replacement/spare probe, and these are stainless on the end which is a plus.

Can't answer your question directly as I can't remember from the top of my head the NTC sensor code number but I would say be careful with the length of the stainless sheath. Here it specifies 25mm long which I would have thought was pretty short for most uses. You should not immerse the back end of the probe into liquid for sanitary reasons but mainly because heat cycling will cause liquid to migrate down the inside of the tube and will after a while ruin the probe.

EskiBrew said:
One eye said:

Can't answer your question directly as I can't remember from the top of my head the NTC sensor code number but I would say be careful with the length of the stainless sheath. Here it specifies 25mm long which I would have thought was pretty short for most uses. You should not immerse the back end of the probe into liquid for sanitary reasons but mainly because heat cycling will cause liquid to migrate down the inside of the tube and will after a while ruin the probe.
thank you :cheers:

Latest posts

Back