Strawberry wine clear and bottled what now!!!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimmyB

Reaction score
Hi All

I have at last got my first home-brewed wine into a bottle, strawberry wine which is lovely and clear, corks in labels on, now im stuck.
Do i put it into a fridge or can it stay in the same place that it has been although it is fairly warm.
Do i lay it on its side or keep it upright.
Sorry for all of the questions just dont want to get it wrong now
Many thanks in advance
kim x

That is a very good question. 30 or so years ago I used to make wine but never drunk it. I used to bottle it ,cork it, and put a shrink cap on and lay it on it's side so the cork did'nt shrink. I drunk it years after and all but a few tasted o.k. Now it doesn't get that sort of chance to go off so I will be very interested in the replies this post gets.

When I started out I read in a book (written before I was born) that you should stand them up for 24 hrs, then lay them on their sides. I tend to keep them in my bedroom where it is cool and dark.

Wine doesn't stay in the bottle long though :cheers2:

Do i put it into a fridge or can it stay in the same place that it has been although it is fairly warm.

I store mine in one of the under counter cupboards in the kitchen as they seem to keep fairly cool in the summer.

Do i lay it on its side or keep it upright.

I believe they lay them down so as the cork stays moist and therefore airtight i believe they also give them half a turn every now and again.

Sorry for all of the questions just dont want to get it wrong now

No need to apologise better safe than sorry.

Thanks everyone, so no one thinks fridge idea was any good then, i will keep them upright until tomorrow then try my best to find somewhere cool unless someone thinks fridge will be ok.
May i also ask if anyone can suggest a good kit for white wine please.
kim x

hi
budget not set really so just quality really, 30 bottles wow that seems so many are there 15 kits?

I think most kits come in either 6 bottle (4.5 litre/1 gallon) or 30 bottle (22.5 litre/5 gallon)

We like the WineBuddy Sav Blank kits and my review is here (6 or 30 bottle) https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/winebuddy-sauvignon-blanc-30-bottle-kit.49224/

The WineBuddy kits are at the cheaper end of the market but we like the finished wine.

Have a look at the wine kit A - Z thread here - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/wine-and-cider-kit-reviews-a-z.57680/

It may be worth making some 6 bottle kits until you find ones you prefer.

Last edited:
Back