Stuck fermentation with Windsor yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rpt

Brewing without a hat
Reaction score
I'm brewing an oatmeal stout with Windsor yeast. It started at 1041 and after 3 days at 20C was down to 1019. After 3 more days it was still at 1019 so I increased the temperature to 21C and roused the yeast. I've increased the temperature by 1C every day so that today, 2 days later, it is at 23C. It is still at 1019.

I know that Windsor is a poor attenuator but this is an apparent attenuation of only 53%. I was expecting 60% at the very least, which would have been 1016.

I mashed at 65C and I rehydrated the Windsor before pitching.

So, what should I do next?
  • 1. Be patient. It will get lower given time.
    2. Keep raising the temperature.
    3. Rouse the yeast again.
    4. Pitch some more yeast. I have some Gervin ale yeast. Should this be made into a starter and pitched at high krausen?
    5. Transfer to a secondary. This will be a better way of rousing the yeast.
    6. Bottle it. With such a high FG I'd be worried about bottle bombs but if it's actually finished then this shouldn't be an issue. Before bottling I would lower the temperature to help the yeast drop out.

I've just had a taste from the hydrometer sample and it does taste pretty good. It probably is a little sweeter than my first attempt at an oatmeal stout, but this is a beer where that doesn't matter - it nicely compliments the roast barley.

It contains roast barley, flaked barley and oats, and I did read that they may mash to sugars that Windsor struggles with. I did an oatmeal stout before that used Nottingham (I pitched it straight onto the yeast cake from a previous brew) and that went to 74% apparent attenuation (although the recipe was slightly different).

I did this recipe too... was this alemans recipe?

I Got it down to 1.012 at a fermentation temperature of 18c.

Was the yeast in date when it was pitched?

No, not Aleman's recipe, but similar. The yeast was in date and kept in the fridge since it came from the Malt Miller in April.

You're probably more knowledgeable than me, but what about pitching more Windsor? The gervin ale yeast might not produce the profile you want.. worth a go.

I'm pretty sure any Windsor flavours will have happened by now so the new yeast would just be to finish off any residual sugars. Plus I don't have any Windsor to hand.

I quite like the lowish attenuation of windsor as it leaves a little more body in the beer. Gervin ale yeast would probably munch on more of the sugar.. but if I were in your shoes issue probably do the same thing.

So you're suggesting I add the Gervin yeast?

I'm actually tempted to leave it for a few days to see if it ferments a bit more. If it doesn't, I'll lower the temperature to let it clear a bit and then bottle it. I'm not too bothered by the sweetness as it isn't very obvious and suits the style, but my main concern is bottle bombs. I guess I'll just use less priming sugar - stout doesn't need to be very fizzy. It will be a pretty low ABV brew but if the taste is good then who cares.

I was hoping someone else might have an opinion - perhaps few people have used Windsor. It doesn't seem to have a very good reputation.

If it was 1.018+ I'd be tempted to add another more attenuating yeast as I'd fear it had stuck, as you say... bottle bombs. But, saying that, if you mashed at 68c+ then perhaps it's as far as it'll go. I mashed at 66c for 90mins with mine - what temp did you mash at?

rpt said:
Aleman said:
Insufficient Aeration!
I wondered that but Danstar say you don't need to.
I believe dried yeasts have sufficient nutrition so they don't need to be aerated.. but I always aerate to the point of dropping the wort into the FV from the tap on the boiler (when its cooled of course).

Back