Supermarket Juice Wine How To guide and Recipes.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Execution is getting nearer when I done it first time I put in 2gms in

Do you mean 2ml?

Did you wait an hour before adding part B (that may be half an hour as i cannot remember what the instructions say)

Did you give it a good stir after adding part A then again after part B?

Pectolase as you say should be added at the begging so that is not the problem as you did add it then.

It said half a hour on each the only thing is I have not racked it in to a other demijohn after adding the Kick Clear.Got Albert Periepoint coming to measure me up tomorrow:lol: So hurry up chippy :whistle:

So you didn't rack into a clean DJ before adding the stabiliser, degassing and adding Fining you did it all in the DJ you started it off in?

No I racked once into clean Demijohns as the win was at the rightSG added the stabiliser and degassed it and added the finnings Like you said

I would say add another 2ml of KwiK clear and give it a good shake/stir and keep your fingers crossed.

The only time i ever had one not clear using KwiK clear was when i used to top up with apple juice, i didn't realise they started to ferment very slowly which of course stopped them clearing i now use a extra half litre of apple juice at the beginning and top up with water at the end which has never failed.

FINGERS CROSSED AS WELL HERE MATE AS THE OLD MEMSAHIB WILL KILL as Dough says in Forged in Fre program on the History Channel ( Good Series)Will let you what happens:doh:

Seem to recall somewhere in this thread for 1L -RGJ + 1.5L Apple. What was the sugar adjusted down to please? Cant find the original post. Ta.

What was the sugar adjusted down to please

There is no set amount as the amount of sugar in the juice cartons varies.

If you aim for 1100g of sugar total (including what is in the cartons) it'll be around 13% ABV.

Anyone got a quick and simple way of getting rid of the floating scum off the top of the WOW at the end of fermenting?

I have two that i want ot check the FG but there are still quite a number of bits going up and down and a good layer on the top.

If the bits are still going up and down they have not finished or are you trying to stop them at a specific point?

If the bits are still going up and down they have not finished or are you trying to stop them at a specific point?

Hi Chippy, I'm looking to stop them at 1.000 so it will still be slightly sweet Rose. Dont want to be sucking up all the bits into the trial jar. Guess i may not have an option. I'm getting a bubble every 8-10 mins through the air lock

Would you just leave them until they stop and then back sweeten?

You could leave them until you only see a bubble every two minutes the satabilise, degas and use finings then top up with juice I find half a litre made quite a difference.

Hi chippy Here is update on my rose done what you said with the finnings added more two have two cleared ok but the 3rd is still bit cloudy and that is after a week !! Could there be something wrong with my Kwick Finnings I checked the sell by date it says 2018. What den to do is stop the yeast when it gets to under 1000 so i have a dry wine. so it was below that i added wilco stabiliser so it will stop fermenting. and done like what you said and put the finnings in straight away or did misinterpret that and did I got that wrong

20170824_155044.jpg

Hi, I've been reading this thread for the past 3 days lol and I'm going to give a few WOW variations a go tonight, 100% RGJ and I'll see what else I can find in Asda as the 2nd juice making sure to get either 100% pure or if it's only 50% juice then use 2 of them to make it up to 100%, is that the way you would do it?

A couple of questions, 1st is the method, here's what I plan to do.

1. Add the juice, sugar, water to the bottom shoulder of the DJ then use my newly made degassing tool (plastic coat hanger) to mix it all together.

2. Add Tannin (3 teabag strong brew) Pectolase (young's), Yeast (Young's super yeast compound) and Yeast Nutrient (Young's) then give a gentle stir.

3. Ferment for 7-10 days until around 1 bubble per minute but I'll probably take hydrometer readings and wait until it's .995 or below, then give it another week (although I've seen posts suggesting you don't have to)

4. Once fermented to my desired hydrometer reading, Add a camden tablet to a clean sterile DJ then rack the wine into it.

5. Add stabiliser (potassium sorbate, young's wine stabiliser) then degas

6. Add fining's (youns's clear it) then give a good shake/stir

7. Top up to the neck.

8. Wait until clear then bottle.

Does this sound about right?

Secondly, my DJ's are the 5L Hambleton Bard ones and 4.5L comes to just past the shoulder of my DJ's so was wondering how to compensate for the extra room as they are 5L up to the neck, when at the topping up stage would you top up with water or juice? and do you need to top up to the neck, is there a reason this is done?

I've seen lots of variations but for argument sake I'll use apple juice as an example recipe.
1.5L Apple Juice ( I know it's usually 1L of each but seen that Chippy-Tea now uses 1.5L for more flavour, is that what everyone does now?)
1L RGJ
800g sugar (dependent on the juice content of course, looking to be making between 11-13% roughly)
1 tsp Tannin (3 teabag strong brew)
1 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Pectolase

I'm not going to bother with the Glycerine or Citric acid for this one as I don't have any Citric Acid but will get some and use it next time.

Is that basic recipe correct?

Sorry for the long 1st post and thanks in advance.

Hi chippy Here is update on my rose done what you said with the finnings added more two have two cleared ok but the 3rd is still bit cloudy and that is after a week !! Could there be something wrong with my Kwick Finnings I checked the sell by date it says 2018. What den to do is stop the yeast when it gets to under 1000 so i have a dry wine. so it was below that i added wilco stabiliser so it will stop fermenting. and done like what you said and put the finnings in straight away or did misinterpret that and did I got that wrong

If you added stabiliser, degassed then added fining then you didn't do anything wrong as that is what i do to all mine however 1000 is not dry if you let it ferment out it'll get down to .990, i am at a loss as to why this one didnt clear when the other two did, i have had wines not clear in the past due to the stabiliser not killing the years and thy carried on fermenting slowly maybe this is what has happened, if it tastes and smells OK and you don't mind what it looks like drink it as it is it won't do you any harm (i have done this many times in the past).

Hi, I've been reading this thread for the past 3 days lol and I'm going to give a few WOW variations a go tonight, 100% RGJ and I'll see what else I can find in Asda as the 2nd juice making sure to get either 100% pure or if it's only 50% juice then use 2 of them to make it up to 100%, is that the way you would do it?

Good luck with your new hobby. :thumb:

I have increased the apple juice to 1.5 litres when making the Rosé wine in the first post in this thread to give it a little extra taste.

A couple of questions, 1st is the method, here's what I plan to do.

1. Add the juice, sugar, water to the bottom shoulder of the DJ then use my newly made degassing tool (plastic coat hanger) to mix it all together.

2. Add Tannin (3 teabag strong brew) Pectolase (young's), Yeast (Young's super yeast compound) and Yeast Nutrient (Young's) then give a gentle stir.

3. Ferment for 7-10 days until around 1 bubble per minute but I'll probably take hydrometer readings and wait until it's .995 or below, then give it another week (although I've seen posts suggesting you don't have to)

4. Once fermented to my desired hydrometer reading, Add a camden tablet to a clean sterile DJ then rack the wine into it.

5. Add stabiliser (potassium sorbate, young's wine stabiliser) then degas

6. Add fining's (youns's clear it) then give a good shake/stir

7. Top up to the neck.

8. Wait until clear then bottle.

Does this sound about right?

When you top up to the start of the shoulder include the tannin do not put it in after as you want to keep the level below the shoulder especially if using orange, mango, kiwi type juices with the Grape juice as they can get a bit lively.

If you don't use your hydrometer wait until its a bubble every 2 minutes not one minute.

Don't forget to crush the campden tablet. :thumb:

Secondly, my DJ's are the 5L Hambleton Bard ones and 4.5L comes to just past the shoulder of my DJ's so was wondering how to compensate for the extra room as they are 5L up to the neck, when at the topping up stage would you top up with water or juice? and do you need to top up to the neck, is there a reason this is done?

The reason is you want to make sure you get 6 full bottles.

I used to top up with juice as mentioned earlier but it caused me more hassle than it was worth so i now add an extra half litre of juice to the DJ at the start.

I've seen lots of variations but for argument sake I'll use apple juice as an example recipe.
1.5L Apple Juice ( I know it's usually 1L of each but seen that Chippy-Tea now uses 1.5L for more flavour, is that what everyone does now?)
1L RGJ
800g sugar (dependent on the juice content of course, looking to be making between 11-13% roughly)
1 tsp Tannin (3 teabag strong brew)
1 tsp Yeast
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient
1 tsp Pectolase

I'm not going to bother with the Glycerine or Citric acid for this one as I don't have any Citric Acid but will get some and use it next time.

Is that basic recipe correct?

Sorry for the long 1st post and thanks in advance.

Yep that is it nailed on as for the 5 litre DJ's just top up with water it does not dilute it and make it watery as you may think it would.

If you added stabiliser, degassed then added fining then you didn't do anything wrong as that is what i do to all mine however 1000 is not dry if you let it ferment out it'll get down to .990, i am at a loss as to why this one didnt clear when the other two did, i have had wines not clear in the past due to the stabiliser not killing the years and thy carried on fermenting slowly maybe this is what has happened, if it tastes and smells OK and you don't mind what it looks like drink it as it is it won't do you any harm (i have done this many times in the past).

I am at a lose also anyway will give it a other i must have not degassed it right. I brought one of these super american wands
http://www.home-brew-online.com/equ...ool-p1107?mc_cid=a9bd55175c&mc_eid=64d5649659
How do you know when you degased right I thought you had do once the froth has gone.But this tool on a drill I have done it for couple of minutes I thought that was it but still had bubbles still coming to the top

You will always get bubbles so its hard to tell, i do it for 5 seconds forward 5 seconds reverse and continue for a minute my wines always clear with 2 ml of KwiK clear or youngs clear it. (two part fining)

Thanks for the reply Chippy_Tea

So 1.5L for the Rose type but 1L for the others, :thumb:

Add the tannin with the juice and sugar then top up to the shoulder. :thumb:

I probably will use the hydrometer but if I can't be bothered then wait for bubble every 2 minutes. :thumb:

Forgot to put crushed campden tablet in my post lol

Top up to the neck, even for a 5L DJ :thumb:

Thanks for the tips, much appreciated.

I went to asda earlier and they were doing the 1L RGJ 100% pure pressed, 3 for £3 I also picked up another 3,
1 pure apple,
1 summer fruits (Apple Juice (93%) , Raspberry Purée (4.0%) , Lemon Juice , Strawberry Purée , Lime Juice , Fruit & Vegetable Extract [Carrot, Blueberry] .) I forgot to look at the ratio :oops: but I'll make it anyway.
1 what I thought was Strawberry and Kiwi but turns out it's actually RGJ (70%), Strawberry and Kiwi :doh:
and I forgot to get an extra apple juice for the rose type lol

I should have wrote myself a note because my brain is like a sieve when it comes to shopping, ah well I'll take another trip tomorrow and get another 3 as I have 4 DJ's, should have just done that in the first place. :doh:

I always use a litre of red grape juice then 1.5 litres of something else, i always put them on 2 at a time so i can split a litre of juice between two DJ's, you don't have to stick to the same juice you could make 1 litre of apple juice a litre of red grape and half a litre of Strawberry and Kiwi , the beauty of these juice wines is they are cheap so just throw in what you fancy and see how it turns out, i haven't made one yet that i didn't drink though the original Wurzels Orange Wine came close. :sick:

Latest posts

Back