the best you made

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dps51

Landlord.
Reaction score
what is the best brew you made.
and how often do you brew it
mine is a London pride clone which I brew a 23ltr batch every three months or so
other than that I do try different brews from time to time

At the moment I only make kits (all grain will happen one day!) but the best I've ever made so far (26 years on and off) is the Young's American Mocha Porter. I've only brewed it the once, it was my Christmas special for this year.

I'll definitely make it again but I'm not sure when, difficulty I have is the wide selection of great kits that are available now such that I'm always wanting to try something new. I don't tend to repeat many brews but there are a few session/draught beers that I'll come back to from time to time like Wherry.

id love to be able to answer this, but all my brews so far have been a little disappointing,so i dont have a fav, i keep trying different ones just to try and improve,,:oops:

Kit - Geordie Scottish Export pitched on a Saflager-S23 Yeast cake then lagered for a year. It got a little light exposure at the end of fermentation which gave it a little skunkyess but it just added to the character, Amazing!

All Grain - PP Kalifornien, my California Common aka steam beer. Recipe available in the recipe section of this forum and on my blog.

I've yet to re-brew any of my all-grain recipes. With a nearly infinite number of possible recipes, I find it hard to commit to just a few. I log all of my recipes and brew days and fermentations etc so that I can try and replicate a brew if I so wish.

How long do you find your London Bitter takes to condition, I did one at the end of December and it's taken till now to taste good?

what is the best brew you made.
and how often do you brew it
mine is a London pride clone which I brew a 23ltr batch every three months or so
other than that I do try different brews from time to time

A London Pride clone is on my list to do especially as my limited knowledge of water chemistry suggests my own water would be similar to a London brewery but I need to pick up a couple of bottles first as i cant remember what London pride tastes like.

Too early for me to have a favourite as I've only done a few ag brews so far and they keep getting better and there are so many more recipes I want to try. I will do a raspberry wheat again as its a bit different and a great summer drink (also my wife likes it) but I don't think id drink a lot in one go so small batches for this one.

I'm hoping one of the brews i'm currently making will be the best ever

A London Pride clone is on my list to do especially as my limited knowledge of water chemistry suggests my own water would be similar to a London brewery but I need to pick up a couple of bottles first as i cant remember what London pride tastes like.

Too early for me to have a favourite as I've only done a few ag brews so far and they keep getting better and there are so many more recipes I want to try. I will do a raspberry wheat again as its a bit different and a great summer drink (also my wife likes it) but I don't think id drink a lot in one go so small batches for this one.

I'm hoping one of the brews i'm currently making will be the best ever

I treated my water and I'm probably using similar water to Fullers in Chiswick.
It needed some CRS to soften it, but that's easy enough.
London Pride is a bit darker in colour than most bitters, caramel and raisin notes.
I saw an advert from then the other day and they will soon be dry hopping the beer.

I treated my water and I'm probably using similar water to Fullers in Chiswick.
It needed some CRS to soften it, but that's easy enough.
London Pride is a bit darker in colour than most bitters, caramel and raisin notes.
I saw an advert from then the other day and they will soon be dry hopping the beer.

what level of alkalinity were you aiming for? i'm thinking around 75 ppm

what level of alkalinity were you aiming for? i'm thinking around 75 ppm

Yes that what I aimed for, I use the old forum water calculator on here.
I find it simple and effective enough for a beginner like me.
I also used calculations before and it was much the same results wise.

My last American Wheat beer (the Greg Hughes one). I'm sampling my latest effort tonight so it might be that!

My last American Wheat beer (the Greg Hughes one). I'm sampling my latest effort tonight so it might be that!

I've just done this one with some cascade added and it's very, very good!

As for best ever, I almost always think my most recent brew is the best I've ever done. I'm not very objective when it comes to my own brews!! That said, the DIY Dog Albino Squid Assassin clone I bottled a few weeks ago has to be right up there. If you like a rye IPA I'd highly recommend it.

Mine was our brucy bonus brewed at the end of November for Christmas but took a few weeks more to come good.Only thing was it was brewed from second runnings with cardamom, nutmeg, orange peel and mixed fruit soaked in whiskey.Shall definitely try brewing it again.

Sent from my ALE-L21

I've just done this one with some cascade added and it's very, very good!

That's good to hear. I slightly changed the grain bill and used 100g of Mandarina Bavaria - 27IBUs and 5.25% ABV. As MB is a relative (if that's the right word) of cascade then mine will probably turn out well too!

That's good to hear. I slightly changed the grain bill and used 100g of Mandarina Bavaria - 27IBUs and 5.25% ABV. As MB is a relative (if that's the right word) of cascade then mine will probably turn out well too!

Be sure to let me know how it is - I'll definitely do this again but I'm open to tweaks if they're good...

Be sure to let me know how it is - I'll definitely do this again but I'm open to tweaks if they're good...

My tweaks were purely because I was cheaper to buy bags than I was for a custom grain kit this time. 3kg wheat, 3kg Lager and 250g catapults instead of what's in the book. My efficiency is rubbish though!

Latest posts

Back