the tom challenge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mods delete that last post of mine it was meant for thefiery ginger beer thread oops!! dont ya just love homebrew! :lol: :lol:

Ive started my tomato wine like i said ive used
2 ltr tomato juice
1 ltr red grape juice
1.5 ltr apple juice
glucose
DSC00024-1.jpg

only an hour in an already coming over the top of the airlock i tastes quite nice in a strange way :mrgreen:

decided to put my tom wine into a fresh DJ as the lumpy brain was still there - looked like it could stiffle the fermentation!
Took a reading and its down to 1010 from 1100 - still ticking over, taste :shock: still to sweet to make a proper decision but not awful ;) :lol:

lumpy
IMGP2224.jpg

IMGP2225.jpg
IMGP2226.jpg

will need a little topping up - how`s every else doing?

so is the challenge stilll going even though i am no longer in the running as my missus poured mine away in one of her tantrums? :party:

oh yes :lol: mine`s slowed to about 1 pop every 45secs to a min, starting to look clearer and all lumps gone!!! Will take a pic to post :D

I am honestly feeling quite ill just reading this, and that pic from RTB.... :sick:

however, i will no doubt be mashing toms after you all report the excellent results!! :lol:

cc

Edit: 06:30 - Ok, I need to put that somewhere warmer, it's only down to 1.008
I have to say it tastes Pretty Damned Cosmic :thumb:

is it nice then moley? seen as i am no longer in the running for this i thought maybe i could be taster and judge if you would all agree and i will give r lass the worst tasting ones :twisted: :twisted:

alandkell said:
seen as i am no longer in the running for this i thought maybe i could be taster and judge if you would all agree and i will give r lass the worst tasting ones :twisted: :twisted:

sounds good to me to :thumb: Will check the gravity of mine at the weekend - it must be nearly there ;)
I also fancy the birch sap wine, also the oak leaves ( high in tanin I read somewhere) :party:

I allways try and tap the sycamore at the end of my garden as its related to the mapel I wonder If i get anything out of it this year would love to try a maple syrup wine but its too damn expensive.

Mine looks done - starting to clear, will take a hydro reading and rack and fine at the weekend :thumb: and give it a little taste ;)

Finally racked this today - FG was 0992. It is pretty clear all ready - still added some finings and campden as usual and will bottle in aweek or two.

Taste - well oddly enough it tastes of tomato :lol: still can`t work out if it is nice or :sick:

pic taken before racking
IMGP2337.jpg

31bb3 said:
yes you can definatly still taste the tomatoes
Mine is redder than that though ??? Perhaps its the red grape juice i added

yeah mine was like a basic wurzel ( white grape and tom juice, I think :wha: ) the real test will be a slightly chilled bottle for HER to give an opinion on :lol:

:lol: Next challenge should be:

Soup I loved as a child wine :lol:

curried lentil and chickpea anyone :twisted:

Latest posts

Back