Things ive learned today,

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeastinfection

Landlord.
Reaction score
Today i did my first 23ltr brew, :mrgreen::mrgreen:

I thought i had planned it well, thought it through and had everything in order,

I was wrong :oops:

I learned,

6K of wet grain is very heavy,:oops:

i want a mash tun,

28ltr of wort is even heavier, :oops::oops:

its a long way from the floor to the unit top when lifting said weight.

it takes a lot longer to bring to the boil 28ltrs of wort than 15ltr ,

i loose 2.5ltrs boiler off on the peco boiler,

i need a false bottom to save the side of the boiler folding in when im drain the wort,:thumb:

my marking on all my Fv's are hugely inaccurate,

My new Peco boiler is a lot slower than my Gas hob,

an immersion cooler works great down to about 40c then its kinda pointless,

i need to allow more time to clear up after,:doh:

All most last,i have a lot to learn,

Lastly,,
Id have done a lot worse if it wasn't for this Forum and the guys that support it and help us out when we have an issue,
yes ive a lot to learn, but it lot less now
Thanks Guys :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::

I thought i had planned it well, thought it through and had everything in order,
I learned,
i want a mash tun,
i need a false bottom to save the side of the boiler folding in when im drain the wort,:thumb:

Lastly,,
Id have done a lot worse if it wasn't for this Forum and the guys that support it and help us out when we have an issue,

We all have a lot to learn, from the least to the most learned. Indeed, I feel that the road to learning starts with an appreciation of one's own ignorance.

I know nothing about HB. Nothing of much consequence, anyway.

As regards your observations, my heating suggestion is that it is possible to boil water on your hob at the same time as raising water temps in your Peco Boiler.

On the cooling, remember that increasing contact between the hot and cold is important, so stir the inside and the outside of the heat exchanging unit (chiller plus sink).

Other than that, it all sounds like a very good, well planned and executed first AG. Well done, mate.

Wise words Slid :thumb:

To help with the heavy grains (a fellow forumites idea - I can't take the credit) drain them on an oven shelf resting on the top of the boiler.

:cheers:

I learned,

i want a mash tun,

Lastly,,

I reckon, thats where we have all been once (or twice) Great Post

just been going through the ,,how to make a mash tun, thread, i think thats my next project, now i understand why there used.
when i emptied my grain bag i had some "dough balls" i found it really difficult with the volume of grains against the wort,

We all have a lot to learn, from the least to the most learned. Indeed, I feel that the road to learning starts with an appreciation of one's own ignorance.

I know nothing about HB. Nothing of much consequence, anyway.

As regards your observations, my heating suggestion is that it is possible to boil water on your hob at the same time as raising water temps in your Peco Boiler.

On the cooling, remember that increasing contact between the hot and cold is important, so stir the inside and the outside of the heat exchanging unit (chiller plus sink).

Other than that, it all sounds like a very good, well planned and executed first AG. Well done, mate.

well done with your weighlifting feat. I can just about manager 21.5 litres, hence than's my maximum brew volume! It took me a little while to realise a litre of water = 1 kilo :oops:

If your brew room allows use a pulley to lift the bag, that's what I do. Also remember to boil in situ so there no need to move the heavy boiler

I drain my mash tun in two halves.

Once into a FV, and once into the kettle.

then I lift the kettle onto the side, and pour the other half in the top once its up there.

I boil normally 30 litres of Wort so 30KG is quiet a big lift from floor to 1.2m worktop height - Hence do it in two 15l stages.

Yeah I stick 32L in my 50L pot in the kitchen and treat it, next day I have to carry it out to the burner .. got to be really careful with how you lift it as you could easily hurt yourself.. I also slightly move the flame out pot to somewehere where I can cool and then tap into FV

Like many others said its these experiences where you start to just work out little tips on what works best for you

I drain my mash tun in two halves.

Once into a FV, and once into the kettle.

then I lift the kettle onto the side, and pour the other half in the top once its up there.

I boil normally 30 litres of Wort so 30KG is quiet a big lift from floor to 1.2m worktop height - Hence do it in two 15l stages.
good call, i thought of that afterwards :doh:

By the way where abouts in Coventry are you (only if you don't mind) and do you treat your water??

If you live near me we could share or I could advise on what water treatment I do at least if it would be any help.

Hey Rich,
im up by the wallace pub.i dont use any treatment as yet, havent got that involved yet,,didnt think our water was too bad, havent tested it in anyway though.
Thanks for the offer :grin:

If your brew room allows use a pulley to lift the bag, that's what I do. Also remember to boil in situ so there no need to move the heavy boiler

I have a pulley over where I brew. Tie the bag to a rope, haul it up and let it dangle there while it drains into the boiler, lower it into an FV with some hot water in it to sparge, haul it out again using the pulley and again leave it to drain over the boiler while the wort is heating up to boiling point. Makes life a lot easier.
There again, as I'm brewing in an old outhouse I then have to carry the full FV back to the house and upstairs to our airing cupboard, lifting it up onto the shelf above the tank (about 4 ft above floor level). Don't know how much longer I'm going to be able to do this as I'm 61 now... I suppose I'll have to make a brewfridge at some point.

Hey Rich,
im up by the wallace pub.i dont use any treatment as yet, havent got that involved yet,,didnt think our water was too bad, havent tested it in anyway though.
Thanks for the offer :grin:

I dont think it is too bad you're quite right..

You're on my end of the city I am near J3 (near the greyhound pub)

I found the treatment which is mainly campden tablet and CRS (occasionally some gypsum if it calls for it but its never much) helps just to clarify and clean it up..

I havent had ant water report done just got the servern trent for my postcode.. but it seems to work.

This is how I have my boiler set up. I stand it on a spare fv with a wooden bread board between. That's to stop the bottom sagging with the heat. It's then the correct hight for transfering to the fv after boiling. I use a large sieve from ikea to drain the bag over the boiler and sparge this way. Then put it over a smaller bucket/fv. No lifting involved then.

DSC_0496.jpg

I dont get you guys who drain from your boiler into your FV's then hump a 23L FV up hill and down dale.
Why not get a 5-10 FV then drain into that then have your 23L in situ and carry the smaller amount and tip it into the 23L FV (doing it from as high as possible to aerate at the same time). Yes you'll have to make multiple trips but only maybe 4 and you'll save your back.
This is what I do as I have a bad back and there's no way I could lift 23L. Beleive me. If your back goes you will not be a happy bunny

I dont get you guys who drain from your boiler into your FV's then hump a 23L FV up hill and down dale.
Why not get a 5-10 FV then drain into that then have your 23L in situ and carry the smaller amount and tip it into the 23L FV (doing it from as high as possible to aerate at the same time). Yes you'll have to make multiple trips but only maybe 4 and you'll save your back.
This is what I do as I have a bad back and there's no way I could lift 23L. Beleive me. If your back goes you will not be a happy bunny

That's been suggested. Its a good call. And something I didn't think about until after I found out how heavy it is:doh:. Like I said .First big Brew so thank you..greatly appreciated. :thumb:

Latest posts

Back