To chill or nor to chill

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would this work?

I've just thought of this, instead of brewing in a FV what about brewing in a pressure barrel. Put the hot wort in, seal the barrel and then add a CO2 bulb. Leave it 24h to cool and then open up and pitch your yeast. You could then fit an airlock to a regular cap and let it ferment away. Bottling would also be easier as there is a tap fitted to the barrel.

Thoughts?

Would this work?

I've just thought of this, instead of brewing in a FV what about brewing in a pressure barrel. Put the hot wort in, seal the barrel and then add a CO2 bulb. Leave it 24h to cool and then open up and pitch your yeast. You could then fit an airlock to a regular cap and let it ferment away. Bottling would also be easier as there is a tap fitted to the barrel.

Thoughts?

I have a vague recollection of a malt extract kit that came with a dispenser, the idea being you did the whole thing in one vessel. Can't find anything on it though.

Think you'd need to drink it pretty fast after it finished. All that yeast death (autolysis) might make horrible tastes after a while.

I have a vague recollection of a malt extract kit that came with a dispenser, the idea being you did the whole thing in one vessel. Can't find anything on it though.

Think you'd need to drink it pretty fast after it finished. All that yeast death (autolysis) might make horrible tastes after a while.

I'm only talking about using the barrel as a FV and brewing in that. The CO2 injection is to minimise the oxygen in the beer. After the beer has fermented just bottle as normal or transfer into another barrel.

I'm only talking about using the barrel as a FV and brewing in that. The CO2 injection is to minimise the oxygen in the beer. After the beer has fermented just bottle as normal or transfer into another barrel.

You could do that, of course, why not? A fermentation bucket with a tap, lid and bottling stick would be cheaper than a barrel.

You could do that, of course, why not? A fermentation bucket with a tap, lid and bottling stick would be cheaper than a barrel.

I'm using the barrel to inject CO2 into the wort when it's still hot to minimise the risk of infection. It was just a thought I had.

From what I've read very few have had problems leaving it for 12 hours in a sterilised (although Oxygen rich) environment. My brew yesterday was left overnight and it seems fine.

I think I'll do an overnight mash next time and boil in the morning, hopefully by bed time I can pitch my yeast.

I no-chill in my FV with a tap all the time. The wort is quite the opposite of oxygen rich as boiling wort boils all the oxygen out of it. That's why you have to aerate your wort just before pitching to get some oxygen back in for the yeast to us.

The oxygen sitting just above the wort doesn't enter the wort. I can't remember exactly why but another forumite (think it might have been mirsultankhan) whose a tropical fish keeper explaianed it ages ago in relation to why you need an oxygen pump in a fish tank

Latest posts

Back