Transporting a King Keg

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NathanJR

Reaction score
My kegged brew will be ready to drink around about the time that we are expecting to move house. In the King Keg instructions it says not to get the top valve wet but transporting a keg full of beer without sloshing it around is going to be pretty difficult.

Would it be a daft idea to take the lid/valve off and cover with something else while moving? I could then refit the valve/lid and re-pressurise at the other end.

Any advice would be helpful.

i wouldnt do that as youll lose all the carbonation and risk infection just be very careful when moving it. I dont see why the inner valve cant get wet strange one

I go with Mark's advice.But I had a few thoughts.Never had to do this so can't vouch for success-just trying to think logically.
1.When we moved it was planned for August-we got in Xmas eve.I hope your move goes smoothly but there can be unforeseen delays so it may be a moot point.
2.If your brew is ready about the time you are moving why not have a house leaving party rather than a house warming?
3.I use KKs a lot & I can't move them 15 yards without sloshing the lid a bit-especially if they are full. Maybe just go for it & hope.Look at the way dray men treat barrels (totally different system I know)-you will need to leave it to settle anyway.But if the lid is sterile should this be an issue?
4.Again I can't vouch for success & don't know if it would be plausible. Would it be feasible (especially if you were thinking of popping the cap off anyway) to siphon into sterilized 2lt PET bottles & after moving in decant back into a sterilized KK & re prime? Don't know if there would be enough C02 in the brew to protect it in transit but I would imagine that there should be enough active yeast to re carbonate. Yes,there could be a high risk of infection but it could be an option.
5. Drink it green & blame the ensuing gas on the dog/cat/kids/mother in law
6.Give them next door a really nice goodbye prezzie-but come back for the empty.
7.Loose it.Extreme option but moving house is one of the most stressful things in life without any extra complications.
Hope you will be very happy in your new home & good luck with whatever you decide to do.

you could pop the top off, cover with cling film and a laccy band,

a layer of co2 will stay in the keg :thumb:
transport and let it settle with the lid back on,

saying all that we move kks to each others houses, and let them settle for a day and its all fine

Don't know how far your moving bud or if you are letting the removal men take it in there van.
If it was me and i was moving in the same city ie with no motorway driving i would just take it steady. Put a flat cap on some old glasses and some fur stuck on your ears and you should get away with it.
Having said that even if i was moving far away i would still be tempted to take it in my car. Just drive as carefully as you can. But i wouldn't like to take the cap off. Don't see why it shouldn't be fine once it has had time to clear again
:cheers:
CIB

Thanks for the advice, seems I should be ok as long as I let it settle down afterward.

I might have a good tasting session, with it being my first attempt, which should bring the levl down a bit to start with.

I can't see there being a problem, you get the cap/lid/valve wet when you sterilise it don't you!

Just give it a couple of weeks to settle/clear when you arrive at your new home, then enjoy.

You could also bottle it adding a small amount of sugar to carbonate it and transport it in the bottles then condition them the usual way!

Andyhull said:
I can't see there being a problem, you get the cap/lid/valve wet when you sterilise it don't you!

Just give it a couple of weeks to settle/clear when you arrive at your new home, then enjoy.

You could also bottle it adding a small amount of sugar to carbonate it and transport it in the bottles then condition them the usual way!
The instructions that came with the Keg specifically say to not get the valve wet. I just took it off when I sterilised the lid.

Having thought about it I think they may just be being over-cautious as it seems some cleaners/sterilisers can corode the rubber bands and seals.

As it's a one off i wouldn't worry.

Just give the valve and seal a good clean and dry them on a radiator once you've drank it at the other end.
Just drink it quickly :party:

Back