Trying to get beer ready for tomorrow

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPips

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been brewing the muntons Pilsner for a boys night tomorrow but it's not quite ready. The primary fermentation went well, 2 weeks down to 1.010.

I cut short the secondary just a week and it's now in my garage although with the weather this week means the line between secondary fermentation and conditioning is a little blurred.

It tastes great, but quite flat. I've tried putting one little gas canister in (never tried that before) and it comes out of the keg with more of a fizz but the beer isn't much fizzier. Is there anything I can do before tomorrow. Would more gas make a difference?

Thanks

Extra gas and a cold place should sort it out you may have to block the pressure release valve

If you want it fizzy it's hard to do in a pressure barrel so what I do is
Wrap some ptfe tape around the release valve then bang a few bulbs of c02 in it works better if your beer is very cold as cold liquid holds onto c02

I've never had one blow I know a lot of people double up the rubber washer on the valve and have no problem I use ptfe because that is what I had in I've also used loom bands from my daughters bedroom

What kind of keg is it?
Chilling it will allow the gas to enter the beer faster.
If it's a corny, you can pump up the pressure to 30 or so then slowly roll the keg around on the carpet. You'll have to keep adding has as it enters the beer.

How will I know what the pressure is up to?
It's just a normal 5 gallon barrel, like you get in starter kits.

How will I know what the pressure is up to?
It's just a normal 5 gallon barrel, like you get in starter kits.

I fitted a schrader valve to my Youngs barrel. I then use a tyre pressure gauge to check the pressure. It's really easy to fit, just need to drill a hole in the top of the barrel and then tighten up the valve. I have fitted two so far and not had any issues so far.

Jas

I'm with Leon on this one. Messing with it makes things worse. You could try party ice (Bag from Supermarket) and somehow using this to chill it down a bit?

Builders Trug + ice + cold water?

Latest posts

Back