Turn a King Keg into a Cornie???

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbo100

Regular.
Reaction score
Hi all.

A couple of years ago, I moved away from using a king keg and moved to bottles. I was getting fed up with the king keg leaking (usually around the tap), and used to find that there was either too much pressure, leading to a glass of head, or too little pressure, leading to the inability to get some beer out of the keg :(.

Bottles are great, because from the first to the last, they are consistent, and they are great to take to mates houses, however, they are a royal pain in the backside to clean etc.

I have seen on a couple of websites, that it is possible to turn a king keg into a cornie keg (sort of), whereby you don't bother priming the beer, and you use CO2 with a pressure regulator into the king keg lid, then fix a hose to the keg to a tap of some kind.

So, my questions:-
  • Is this a good idea?
  • Will the results be good?
  • What is the cheapest way of doing this (what sort of tap would be suitable for ale (I will only be doing low carbonation drinks, so don't need massive pressure)?
  • How long can I leave the beer in the king keg before things start getting little plastic tasting?
  • Should I just stick with bottles?
  • How long should the tap hose be to avoid loads of gas in the beer, but still have a reasonable head?

Thanks for the advice.

Robbo100

it might work, people have added Stainless steel car tyre valves to PB's for co2 injection,, the only limiting factor is the pressure capacity of the pb 10- 12?
psi

check this table out for temps and pressures needed for conditioning..

http://www.kegerators.com/articles/carbonation-table-pressure-chart.php

so temp control may enable it as viable??

as for a tap a simple dalex style lever tap should fit in with a 12/" to 3/4" reducing bush.

but with new cornies available for about £80 from the malt miller it might just be better going full cornie instead

£80 you say... That might be viable at that price.

Thanks for the reply and info.

There is a member on 2 other UK forums selling used polykegs, as discussed in this thread for £5 each. These are intended as a one way disposable product for the trade, but he's made them so they can be reused.
IMG_9013_zps7c2e816e.jpg

To me these are a much better solution than trying to convert a king keg. They'll take much higher pressures, high enough to force carbonate, and the only extra cost is the sankey type keg coupler needed to connect them up but this will be a much more reliable way of doing it than a converted KK. At £5 a go you can afford to have a few so the next brew can be conditioning.

Latest posts

Back