What are you drinking 2024.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Keg-conditioned Poes Boston Bitter, if it was an American who came up with this recipe he has done very well. A well-balanced Ordinary Bitter. Drink this till the cows come home.
View attachment 97393
Great head and good lacing, a magnificent ordinary bitter.
View attachment 97394
Another satisfying beer, a pale ale, Nancy Naylor Landlady, great aftertaste of Styrian Goldings. Delicious beer.
View attachment 97395

A really good Ordinary is difficult to find. Looks like the recipe is on BYO, going to bookmark it athumb..

I just found some beers in our under-stairs cupboard from the last box of Beer 52 beers my daughter gave me. I forgot they were there! I’m having a session that’s supposed to be a tropical fruit salad. It tastes ok, orange, melon, and coconut are dominant.

The glass was part of a prize haul from Attic when I placed in their own beer competition. They partnered with Charles Faram and competitors had to brew a beer using an experimental hop variety (supplied).

IMG_6263.jpeg

Last edited:
This African inspired beer uses sorghum in the malt bill and is flavoured with marula. It’s a lovely colour and is crystal clear but the perfumed aroma/flavour isn’t really to my taste. The Teku glass however is, I put these on my Christmas list.
IMG_6268.jpeg

Speaking of Marula, and if you haven’t seen it, Google “marula drunk animals” for a bit of a giggle.

It looks to be wet which is typical Salisbury weather! SIPs can be heaving on the popular evenings. Slightly obscure Duke of York is CAMRA city pub of the year

https://www.salisburyjournal.co.uk/...-york-salisbury-awarded-camra-city-pub-year/#

Rude Giant has a taproom cum beer hall, I haven’t been yet.

Dark Revolution are mid move into a new unit. Think taproom still open in the old.

Locally- it’s the last weekend of the Wadworth taproom in Devizes as they move to their new unit away from the historic brewery.
Thanks @Caramel Ox. Landed in Portsmouth and reports of potholes greatly exaggerated as I didn't see any on drive to Salisbury. Traffic heavier than I remember, though.
Salisbury is an amazing place. A city dedicated to roadworks and various excavations, on the one hand, and pubs on the other. Millions of pubs all within walking distance. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven! Very much in the hands of our hosts the first day and consumed a goodly bellyful of HSB at the Ox Row. Lovely beer and perfectly kept. Haven't had HSB for decades. The Wise One stuck to the Neck Oil, which seemed pleasant enough in a hippy-hoppy way. Too much soiled nappy in there for my liking. There was also a lurid green offering, Stonehenge Ale, complete with tadpoles and other pond life. I steered well clear of that and the ubiquitous London Pride. The draught Cobra in the curry house, on the other hand, was pretty horrible and a tad too warm.
So. As I'm here for a week, I think a Best Beer in Salisbury review is called for.
It won't be Cobra!

Last edited:
What is Ordinary Bitter?
A truly excellent cask of bitter around the 4% mark is extraordinary in my book.
😂

I used to know off by heart the ABVs for ordinary, best, special and extra special, I'd have to google it now :D.

I've always thought that (whilst it might be an accurate categorisation) calling something ordinary is denigrating, particularly when your taste buds are telling a different story.

Sadly no picture but last night had a hand pulled Hawkshead's Mosaic Pale (gluten free). Really nice pint and absolutely crystal clear. Ordered a box of bottles (plus some Helles).

I was thinking of making a Mosaic pale and their website gives the recipe (not amounts) so I'm going to use that as a base (including the gluten free bit using NBS Clarity).

A really good Ordinary is difficult to find. Looks like the recipe is on BYO, going to bookmark it athumb..

At first glance I thought crikey, that's a complicated recipe but its actually very simple on the ingredient side (four including the yeast), its the hop schedule that complicates it. I'm thinking of doing a stripped back test batch.

Sunday was a touring drive to Skye and back. Honestly pretty much all bar 7 or 8 miles of the 113 mile each way drive were incredibly scenic. We picnicked along the route as portree is mostly shut on Sunday. Ended up back in Inverness for a cheeky hotel drink before black Isle rooms again then the malt room. Oh my! Uber. I had a dram of balblair12 very smooth light and delicate. The iron brew from VC was delicious. The book kriek was good and the malt room collaboration was ok.

Attachments

• IMG_20240324_162343.jpg
    IMG_20240324_162343.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240324_181043.jpg
    IMG_20240324_181043.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240324_193037.jpg
    IMG_20240324_193037.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240324_203859.jpg
    IMG_20240324_203859.jpg