What did you drink ....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't remember (the beer) that far back. Me and my mates used to take the train from Thornaby to the next stop on the line and go to the Station pub. I was 14 and had to order the drinks as I was the tallest. I remember the landlord gave us a dirty look and said `you can have this one then f*** off'. We thought that was quite reasonable at the time. Actually I was never asked my age until my 18th birthday bash.
Them were the days.:cheers:

Diesel is a dirty fuel, and that, my friends, is a dirty drink.

:lol:yep

That bright red body and pink head

enhanced-buzz-4301-1367421237-1.jpg

Castlemaine XXXX, or Bud on tap at the local turn a blind eye :whistle:

A pint of Murphy's was the height of sophistication.

In Glasgow in the 70s, there were rather limited choices: Tennents' lager, Harp lager, Tartan Special, McEwans Export.
So usually plumped tor Tennents. Funnily enough had a pint of it on Friday night for first time in decades and it wasn't that bad!

How many of us did that and wondered if it was the diesel coming back or your insides trying to leave your body? :lol:

Not me. The idea of anything like that was and still is repellant.

Obviously done it with red wine though

Labatts Canadian or Orangiboon, not sure I spelt the last one correct though.
Both **** poor but cheap

In the late 60s my village had 3 pubs. 1 knew how old I was and wouldn't serve me (although happy to sell me ciggies!).

That left 2 ... an Ushers house where I would drink Ushers Best gravity fed from a keg behind the bar. (It was on my paper round and when I was collecting the payments on a Saturday, I would often stop for a pint.)

The other was a Starkey Knight & Ford house (although this was on the cusp of Whitbread's obliteration of Starkeys). There I would drink Trophy bitter (which was actually brewed by Starkeys at Tiverton and was a straight re-brand of 1 of Starkeys own beers). Again this was gravity fed from a row of about 6 kegs behind the bar. If certain people were there to lead me astray, I would sometimes drink draught Taunton Cider served through a handpump.

Whitbread would usually market Trophy as 'brewed to the local taste' although it really was 1 of the beers from a smaller regional brewery that was about to be swallowed up.

Then came the desert of the 70s .... don't we have it so good these days?

:drink:
:cheers:

Hi!
Cameron's Strongarm (underage in Stockton), Vaux Double Maxim and a game of darts at lunchtime in The Harewood Arms, Thornaby and Newcastle Amber Ale on Sunday evenings in the Thinford Inn.
Sadly, all three pubs now closed or demolished. Two steps forward, one step back.

My very first pint was a Youngs Special at the Greyhound in Carshalton, when I was about 16 and I came out with my head spinning and thinking..."how do people drink this ****?"
To be fare, Im still not keen on Youngs beers!:lol:

My very first pint was a Youngs Special at the Greyhound in Carshalton, when I was about 16 and I came out with my head spinning and thinking..."how do people drink this ****?"
To be fare, Im still not keen on Youngs beers!:lol:

I sometimes drink in the clockhouse, the youngs pub on peckham rye. tbh I'm usually a little underwhelmed by there beers. Might culture up some of there yeast from a bottle of special or bitter out of curiosity though

From the age of about 10, I was helping Dad clean out the pipes at the local Legion - mostly Benskins (not great). You have to test(taste) it to make sure all of the solution's come through :whistle:
Serious 6th form drinking at the Horns behind Watford Town Hall - mostly Directors which I still enjoy. That's if no one fancied driving off to The Royal Standard or St Albans where the there was a surprising aray of good beers even in the dark days of the early 80's.
Worst experience with beer - 3 and half pints of Olde Roger, one of them down in one.
BG

I have no idea what my first pint was.

I remember I used to always drink Newcastle Brown in the rock pubs/clubs in town, and I remember drinking John Smiths smooth a lot. For shame!

Latest posts

Back