What hoover have you got

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a pre-china Dyson and thought it was highly overrated. Heavy, as plasticky as the rest of them, and got through two stair attachments in no time. Ended up cutting out (overheating) despite 'lifetime' filters being washed.

VAX Mach air is much easier to use, lighter, more consistent suction, though equally flimsy and I've already taken advantage of the multi-year warranty three times for small parts.

So after all that, try something else ;)

We used to have a dyson 04 very good but after a four or five years of neglect and some broken parts we bought a Vax.

Biggest mistake ever. Everything broke on it and though it has a warranty when we sent iot back with an electrical fault the ended up replacing it all. The new one didn't last long, the handle always breaking and having to be glued and taped back together.

So this summer we replaced it with a dyson, though not as well built as the 04 the 33 is powerful light and does the job.

We did pick up something else before we got the dyson but sent it back because of its lightweight build and the fact that it only had a 5m cable. not that we have a big house but I do like to plug it in one place and hoover all of the downstairs without having to unplug it every 2 seconds.

So basically even though they are not what they were the dyson is still by far the best of the bunch IMHO.

Get a Henry, no doubt. They are such a simple design anyone can fix them if something goes wrong and they suck like a goodun.

Dyson are overrated, if you want to spend a little more for the best suction get a miele.

A Henry is by far the best choice if you've only got hard floors, but an upright is better for carpet. My parents have both (hard floor downstairs, carpet up) as do my aunt & uncle (in fact they have two Henrys, since my uncle's a builder).

My aunt & uncle's last upright was a Dyson. They're overpriced, undersuctioned & poorly designed IMO.

I had a bagged Hitachi upright for over ten years. It eventually died because it got fouled up by my long hair. My grandparents' Hitachi lasted fifteen years, and my mum's about the same. Very well-made, reliable machines if you can find them.

Last year my mum and I both replaced our Hitachis with bagless vacuums. She got a Hoover and I got a Vax. We've now swapped as the Hoover is very difficult to use on carpet. The suction was too strong, making it difficult to move around as it would end up stuck to the carpet. At six months off 70, my mum's not as strong as she once was, so using it made her arms ache. It's not an issue for me as I'm stronger and only have carpet in the bedroom. (I don't have the space for a Henry in my cleaning cupboard.)

Kirby :thumb:

Original purchase price was high and I can't remember what annual servicing costs, but it's a great machine AND it's shiny.

Also got an early Dyson which lives down the cellar and occasionally get used as a dust extractor on my router table or bandsaw.

Miele with variable suction ( motor speed) in the house,

Dyson in the shed ( brewery )

so the wife must preferes the Miele, or it would be in the shed

One eye said:
At the risk of quoting a bunch of comedians. What is the point of variable suction? At what point do you want less than full power?

Had a Henry for a few years, I thought it was ok until SWMBO complained of a bad back when using it. We then bought a dyson animal DS50 I think, Jesus what a shock, knocked the Henry out of the park with the suction power, picked up loads compared to poor old Henry.

Now for the negatives: unbelievably ***** build quality, feels like its going to fold at any minute.Not what I expect for £280! We had a DC04 years ago and you could tell it was built in dear old blighty , it was solid as.

Now if only "Henry" and "dyson" could join up and make a Hoover with the robustness of the Henry but the suck of the dyson then I think they would clean up ( I'll get me coat! I'm here all week!,,)

:cheers: ;)

I have an IRobot Roomba. Use it every day. It cleans when I am out of the house. It's brilliant. About once fortnight I use an ordinary Samsung (was about £40 on Amazon. Its great, as strong as a black hole.

Darcey said:
I have a Vax steamer and hoover. Both 7 months old. Both broke this week. Steamer broken no user part to replace, only a 6 month warranty!! Vacuum has taken 5 belts so far since purchase. Good when it works but otherwise very noisy and breaks just when you need it.

Had a Henry at the pub, used very day on a large pub up and down stairs.. no problems in 4 years...

It also has a face.. which is nice.

D

I'd be screaming the sales of goods act if I was you... 'last a reasonable length of time' 7 months is not reasonable!

Megaross said:
One eye said:
At the risk of quoting a bunch of comedians. What is the point of variable suction? At what point do you want less than full power?
when the wife hoovers the curtains,not only the floor gets dusty, not sucking up, sucking down, less suck so as not to pull the curtaims down.

oh yah, I don't get the bunch of comedians bit

One eye said:
Megaross said:
[quote="One eye":2q5zqwl0]Miele with variable suction ( motor speed) in the house,
when the wife hoovers the curtains,not only the floor gets dusty, not sucking up, sucking down, less suck so as not to pull the curtaims down.

oh yah, I don't get the bunch of comedians bit[/quote:2q5zqwl0]

Any bloke knows that variable suction prolongs the enjoyment :twisted: :lol:

Another vote for Miele here. Had it 10 years. Totally bomb proof and never gone wrong.

The VW of vacuum cleaners, if not the Mercedes.

We have had allsorts of vacuum cleaners over the years..not blessed with luck, they die after about 12-18months of use in my house...Ive had dysons -***** dropped to bits, electolux died after bouncing down the stairs, vax- blew up with a big blue flash and puff of smoke...Grandmas old Hoover junior superb but made a big noise...

Currently have a Henry and a modern version of the Hoover Junior both built well and are man enough to live in my house. The Henry gets used for the big stuff after decorating, cleaning out the Landrover etc, the Hoover is the workhorse shifting cathairs, dust and stuff from the carpets

Dr Mike said:
Another vote for Miele here. Had it 10 years. Totally bomb proof and never gone wrong.

The VW of vacuum cleaners, if not the Mercedes.

No-one in my family has ever had a Miele vacuum, but if they're as well-built as their washing machines and dishwashers they should last decades. My parents' dishwasher and washing machine, inherited from my grandparents, were about thirty years old when they were damaged by a flood ten years ago - so old that Miele no longer made the spare parts for those models, so they couldn't be repaired.

One eye said:
Megaross said:
[quote="One eye":306ir2ut]Miele with variable suction ( motor speed) in the house,

oh yah, I don't get the bunch of comedians bit[/quote:306ir2ut]
You hoover the curtains?

That is weird man, if you are getting dust buildup on them then something is off in your place.

Latest posts

Back